Magnapans and Martin Logans???

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Jesse Sharrow, Aug 21, 2003.

1. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

I have heard martin logans before but I have never really "listened" to them. I always thought they were way to expensive for my blood. Well looking around on the net today I noticed that they make a few models that are not $10,000 a piece. I also looked at magnapan MMG's and MG12's. These are not too expensive either. From what I remeber from last time I listened to a martin logan they are pretty incredible.

What do you guys think of these speakers? Do you think a lower end pair of them can compare to a B&W or a Kef? Im going to listen to a pair of the higher end Martin Logan's that we still have in stock at soundtrack and see what I think.

2. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Do searches, you will find plenty of opinions.
    In short, sure they are.

3. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

Planars like martin logan and magnapan are a breed to themselves.

Can they compete with box speakers? Sure.

Which will you prefer? Impossible to tell. Only you can make that decision.

4. Seth V

Seth V Stunt Coordinator

Both Magnepans and Martin Logans are great sounding speakers. Both differ from conventional dynamic speakers in that they are dipolar by nature. Some prefer the sound that these true dipoles offer(myself included)while others do not. Like John mentioned, it is all a matter of preference.

The only way to know for sure if you really like them is to do some critical listening with both, I mean really put them through their paces. Listen to them with music that you like. If you can do a home audition even better, as they might sound great in the store but you really need to listen to them in your own environment with your own hi-fi gear.

Logans and Magnepans are very critical when it comes to placement, but once dialed in the rewards are many. They are also very revealing with poorly recorded music. But with good quality recordings they will wow you. I personally prefer the sound of Logans over that of Maggies. Martin Logan with their Curvalinear Line Source design offers a wider sweetspot over that of Magnepan. Magnepan is also a great sounding speaker that many people swear by.

The one area that conventional dynamic speakers might run circles around Logans and Maggies is in the bass department (with maybe the exception of ML's Odyssey and Prodigy). But a Maggie or ML with a good sub will easily compete with the best cone based speakers.

Both B&W and KEF are excellent cone based speakers, and probably some of the best around. I own Martin Logan reQuests and I love em'. And the only cone based speakers that I feel that can compete with or possibly surpass my reQuests are either B&W's Nautilus 801's or Legacy Audio's Whispers. So either way you go, whether it be planar, electrostat, or dynamic, you will be treated to good sound.

In the end the final decision will rest on your ears. With whichever sounding the best to you will win.

I hope I have been able to help you somewhat. I know that choosing the right kind of speaker can be quite a challenge, but with the right ones you'll be in sonic heaven.

SV

5. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Ok well I went and listened to the martin logans today at my work. I love the way they sound. I think they sound great. But not too much better than the Kef XQ5's. The only thing I didnt like too much was the off axis response. But besides that they are great.