Magic the Gathering Online

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AaronArmstrong, Dec 20, 2001.

1. AaronArmstrong

AaronArmstrong Stunt Coordinator

Sorry since this isnt console related.

But I just wanted to share with my fellow forum

members the joy I have been consumed with for the past week. I am in the Magic the Gathering beta and I just have to say, unbelievable! If anyone here has tried Magic Encyclopedia or Apprentice and felt that magic could never be done decently, fear not. This thing is smooth as silk and knows the rules and performs all the actions perfectly.

They have tournaments running all the time, even multiplayer works like a charm. I have played several 4 player games with not one glitch. You can save games and come back to them later. If you get disconnected you can relog and join back into the same game. Sealed deck options and drafts too. All in all if you are,were a fan of MtG, or were curious prepared to be blown away.

Aaron Armstrong

2. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

First off, welcome to this area of the forum, and no, this is not a console exclusive forum. PC questions and threads are welcome (but they don't seem to get quite as much action).

Now, I have never played a game of magic in my life, and I actually don't think I'm going to start. But I am curious about one thing. I had friends that seemed to spend a fortune on booster packs and were getting some serious amounts of money for some of the rarer cards. I've always wondered how they would simulate this in an online game. Is there someway to earn new cards and then trade them, or is your deck somewhat set?

3. Steven K

Steven K Supporting Actor

I used to be an Apprentice junkie... always playing in online tournaments, etc. I actually havent played a game of Magic in about a year, but a few years ago, I was really into it, travelling to Pro Tours, Grand Prixs, PTQs, and pre-release tourneys. Apprentice was revolutionary for its time, but it did have alot of flaws. Im glad that there exists a better client for playing online. So many times, I've contemplated writing a completely new MTG client myself.

4. AaronArmstrong

AaronArmstrong Stunt Coordinator

Actually they havent set the pricing structure, yet.

The way it is now is you buy boosters and starters using

points. When I first started you got 75 points. Every once and a while they give you more points. (Pure speculation warning!) I think they will probably do a monthly flat fee, say $10 a month and give you so many points each month, but if you wanted to go whole hog you could buy more points.

Aaron Armstrong