What's new

Magic! Special Edition DVD Coming Late Jan 06! (1 Viewer)

Chas_Michael

Second Unit
I spoke with MPI Video today. A special DVD Edition of Anthony Hopkins "Magic" is scheduled to be release in late January 2006! No further details as of yet. I've been waiting for this for years! Great news.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
(waking from snooze)

What? Really?

It's been a long road towards the
DVD release of Magic. Many of
us have been hearing news for years and
have been let down.

Hopefully this is finally the real deal
Shnookums! :)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Yuh know, I don't think I have a single
MPI title in my 2,000 DVD collection.

How is this company? Based on past history,
can we expect them to do a decent job on
this release?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Ron; MPI were responsible for the excellent Rathbone/Bruce Sherlock Holmes releases of last year (or was it 2003?) and if you click on the Without Warning! review you see the this comment about the video:

For a film that, until now, has been very hard to track down, Dark Sky Films’ release of Without Warning! looks fantastic. There’s a little bit of mild print damage here and there in the form of the odd speck or two, as well as a few scenes that exhibit a little bit of grain but for the most part we have a very nice, and very clean looking fullframe black and white image. There’s plenty of detail in the picture, the contrast levels look dead on, and the blacks are nice and deep with lots of shadow detail present throughout the duration of the film.

Owning their Holmes DVDs - which I'm delighted with - and reading that review, I'm confident MPI will do a good job.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I own the Holms releases too. Now it is important to remember they didn't have the restoration done. But they did a beautiful DVD release of that restoration. I owned MPIs video release of The Prisoner in the 80s. They also did a fine job with that.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
From www.davisdvd.com :

One of the creepier films of the 70's, Magic arrives onto DVD on April 25th, 2006 from Dark Sky Films. The film, starring Anthony Hopkins as a magician-turned-ventriloquist, will be presented with a 1.85:1 anamorphic transfer from a new high-definition master and Dolby Digital 2.0 audio. Extras will include a "Fats & Friends" featurette on the malevolent puppet with ventriloquist Dennis Alwood, interviews with Anthony Hopkins and cinematographer Victor J. Kemper, a vintage radio interview with Hopkins, Ann-Margret makeup test, a photo gallery, trailers, TV and radio spots. Retail will be $19.98.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
MPI, via email to someone at the Criterion Forum, have said that Becket will be released in mid-2006. UCLA Film Dept. restored the film, including material from the European version that was trimmed from the U.S. release. This restored version screened at the Tribeca Film Festival in late 2003. MPI must be doing additional work and creating extras or something. It has been a long slog getting this film to DVD and I hope that it worth it.

Magic has also been a long-time-coming. A hi-def transfer and extras, no less!

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
Was there a release date change on this? I called Best Buy and they told me they show a release date of May 16, 2006 yet all the online retailers are showing 4/25/06. Any confirmation on this?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks