What's new

Maggies vs Athena (1 Viewer)

BladeRunner

Auditioning
Real Name
Tyler
Hey Everyone....

Well, after an exhaustive research and several migraine headaches, I decided on the following for Home Theater/Music:

Maggie Set-Up
Front: MG12
Rear: MMG
Center: CC3
Sub: SVS PB10 NSD
Stands: Mye Sound Stands for MG12's
Amp: Crown XLS 602D or 802D
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V995 (5.1 Current Receiver)

or

Athena Set-Up:
Front: F2.2
Rear: R1.2
Center: C1.2
Sub: SVS PB10 NSD
Receiver: Yamaha RX-V995

Besides one being cheaper than the other, which set-up do you like most for HT? About 70% HT - 30% Music.
The room is only 20x15. I am moving into a larger place in 3-4 months.

Thanks for your help
BladeRunner

Alan M

Second Unit
Wow,

Thats like comparing apples and oranges.
Both speakers have their strong points ,but are very different.
Maggies have an "airy" quality that a box type speaker cant match.
Athena's are much more dynamic in the mid range then planar's.

Thats just the start of the differences.Setup is vastly different as is power requirements.I could go on,but this post would be way to long.

A suggestion would be to listen to both types of speakers.You wont find MMG's in a B&M,but the 1.6's will give you an Idea of Maggie sound.Also go listen to the Athena's.
Let your ears decide :)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
I've had that same Athena setup, with the same sub, and I've owned MMG's. I'd go with the Magnepan setup without hesitating if we put the order-of-magnitude cost differential aside (the CC3 costs more than I paid for the entire Athena setup). The maximum dynamic ceiling of the Athenas might be higher, but not by much with MG12's I think. The Athenas are more efficient, also, but it looks like you've got amps planned for the 12's.
I know nothing about the receiver.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
If you're planning to add the Mye stands and the sub, then that's an easy decision for me :) People who take the time to do Maggies the *right* way will be rewarded in the end. What you described is exactly the way to get the most out of them. Just be sure to not judge them based on what you hear right out of the box....Maggies DO open up over time, regardless of what others may have told you about speaker break-in. I don't know about cone drivers, but the Maggie panels become much more pleasing after the first 100 hrs or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks