Maggies MMG and MMC any users???

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Sheldon-m, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Sheldon-m

Sheldon-m Stunt Coordinator

I came across these on line and there is only one review on them from soundstage. I was wondering if anybody has bought these and how they sounded?? I would like them in a HT and for music(jazz,hip hop,ect). I have read many good reviews on their other speakers. For 300$ for a pair, sounds like a great deal.[​IMG] [​IMG] Let me know. In the hunt for good looking speaker to please my ball and chain. Thx

2. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I'd be interested in hearing folks comments as well, the MMG-W speakers with the MMGC really looks sharp.

3. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

4. David James

David James Stunt Coordinator

The MMG-C isn't released yet (April, last I heard). There is a lengthy thread here and on the Maggie Forum

5. Sheldon-m

the maggies look good. they look very flexable. I wonder if they sound as good as they look. They are very easy on the pocket book[​IMG] The i was reading the specs on the center maggie and it says it is 36" wide. Now that is wide.
    i read the review by sound stage and it was very positive.
    i wonder how other maggies sound?

6. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

I currently own maggies, 1.6 front,cc3 and MMG rears.

I checked out the smaller speakers and they sound great for the money. You do need a solid sub as these just don't carry bass at all. Maggies also need a very fast sub to keep up with them so you can't skimp.

The MMG's are a better buy in my mind at $550 a pair. Much better base and the overall sound is much more robust.

If you love the maggie sound I suggest you get into them at the pricepoint you can afford and enjoy tyhe hell out of them.

7. Sheldon-m

What kind of receiver are you using? I have onkyo 601. it specs say it can push 4 ohms. Do you think I would be ok with the 601. I really like the 601. What do ya'll think?

8. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

The smaller maggies should be alright but I have found that you really need some serious power to make these speakers come to life. I am running a Kenwood 5900 and it does very well 99.9% of the time but is that .01% that I know I am missing something. That means I am probably missing more than I realize.

my plan is to step up to a Sunfire soon which should give me true bliss.

9. Sheldon-m

Now could i use the mmg w as mains and use my bi polar for surrounds? could i mix them with other speakers?

10. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

The maggies are so fast and accurate that it would be very difficult to match other speakers long term IMHO. They simply don't sound like any other speaker. Short term I think you could get by but I suspect you would want to go to a full maggie system as soon as you could.

If it is a question of finance I would spend all you can on fronts first and fill in when you are able to down the road.

11. Sheldon-m

Hey doug some people on other threads have said they are bright. is this true? how about how some people put dampening products behind the speakers. Why would you want to dampen the wall?

12. Doug_H

Doug_H Supporting Actor

These speakers are not bright if set up properly. Underpowered amps are one cause of brightness in these speakers. They are power hungry and when you start running out of juice the low end and midrange begin to pull back. This is the case with all speakers but very few have the power requirements of the maggies.

Because they are dipole speakers they rely on reflection more than most speakers. If you place them in a room that is inherently bright the maggies will accentuate this. This is the reason many users place dampening behind them.

You need at least 3 feet from the back and side walls for the maggies to open up the bass. If you crowd them they will start to sound bright because high end reflects and amplifies off the back wall and at the same time bass and midrange is being lost which will give a bright sound.

Maggies have very specific set up requirements. If you can set them up as Magnepan suggests they are one of the most incredible sounding speakers available IMHO. If you can't do a proper set up they are not as forgiving as other speakers.

Magnepan's website is a great source for info. They get very specific about power requirements and setup. www.magnepan.com