Maggies 3.6 in a theater room

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Mike Albano, Jan 1, 2004.

1. Mike Albano

Mike Albano Extra

This question goes hand in hand with a room size question I have out in the Theater Build Section.

How many people out here have either the Maggie 3.6 or 20.1 as their mains in a theater room. I am a little concerned that speakers this large and wide will be a distraction from the screen if placed properly for optimum audio, meaning a few feet from the back and side walls.

So far the 3.6's are my favorite speakers for audio, but I don't want to them to deter visually from the screen. Does anyone use these speakers for double duty, if so is this an issue?

I can make the room almost any size I want, but ideally I would like it to be something like 16 x 20 housing a 106' screen and room for two tiers of four theater seats.

Also how are the maggies for movies, so-so or awesome? Thanks in advance for any opinions on the matter.

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Mike Maggies make for a fantastic theater speaker providing you use a subwoofer and have the room for them. the problem that caused me to move away from my maggies wasn't the mains but the sides and centre. Magnepan has a new centre that's apparently much better then the old one but mounting maggies on the walls for side speakers wasn't working out for me so I was forced to sell mine and move on. I still love their sound though and if I could do it I'd go back to maggies in a second.

3. Mike Albano

Mike Albano Extra

Thats good to know Andrew, I haven't gotten to the point where I was able to listen to the center channel. I am willing to make small adjustments to my ideal room size such as 1 foot here or there to allow maggies to do their best work, because I relly liked their sound and their price. But I still am concerned about their size diverting attention unto themselves instead of the projection screen. I hoping someonne else has done this in a theater room and can tell me that they are not a distraction. If not there are other speakers I like almost as much as the 3.6, that are smaller box speakers but almost twice the price.

4. Joe Casey

Joe Casey Stunt Coordinator

I wouldn't worry about them distracting folks from the video. I use them in a 2-channel system and have had people ask me where the speakers are.[​IMG]

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

If you go with black cloth an black rails you won't see them when watching a movie so I wouldn't be concerned about that aspect. The bigger concerns are the center and surrounds fitting in your room. Also the older maggie centre wasn't very good at filling a wide room with even sound...it was quite directional so your sweet spot was very narrow...in fact it was so bad I know of several that just ran in phantom centre mode instead.

6. Mike Albano

Mike Albano Extra

If the center is such an issue, I wonder how off a Martin Logan Theater I would be with the 3.6's. I would have to hear everything together before I committed money to that experiment.

7. Burke Strickland

Burke Strickland Second Unit

1) Magnepan MG 3.6s can work quite effectively for HT in a moderate-sized room. I am using a pair (black cloth with black rails) in my 18 foot by 16 foot HT. With the lights down, they absolutely disappear visually. It did take some careful placement to get optimum two channel music without blocking my ten foot diagonal 16:9 screen but it can be done. I have three seating positions across. With four across, I'd have to zoom-in the projected screen image (closer to the size you plan to use) or move the Maggies further apart.

I should add that the placement of the Maggies is much less critical for movie viewing than it is for two channel music. If you must fit in extra chairs for a special crowd and don't mind moving the Maggies, you can accommodate a larger audience and not lose anything sound-wise.

2) The new Maggie center, the MGCC3, is a significant advance over its predecessors in that it throws a more widely dispersed sound field and goes all the way down to 80 hz (the others are rated down to only 160 hz, although my measurements show that my MGCC1 produces useful output to 120 hz). OTOH, I think the effect of the "old" Maggie center is quite a bit dependent on the room and what else is around it. The speaker was designed for wide dispersion in a fairly "open" room, and I get no complaints in my HT using the original MGCC1 center. (I usually sit at the side when guests come over, letting someone else sit in the "sweet spot", so I'd be the first to notice if the center weren't doing its job properly.)

3) It isn't absolutely necessary to use Maggie speakers as surrounds if space or room arrangement is a concern. I am getting a perfectly acceptable surround effect using the Def Tech BP-2000 towers that had been my front mains before I got the Maggie 3.6s. Although I think very highly of the Maggie wall-mounted surround speakers, having heard them to outstanding effect in several HTs, in my room, floor standing towers are actually easier to work into the arrangement than wall mounted speakers, (and they are already paid for), :>) so the Def Techs will stay for a while longer.

Bottom line: If you like the Maggies for music, you're going to love them for movies, too.

Enjoy!