What's new

Maggie update (1 Viewer)

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Alan M said:
Well Jack,
After listening (and following) your advise concerning a dipole subwoofer.I'll give you some advice. Get the MMG's :)
What'd you wind up doing?
As far as MMG's, the main issue is the door which opens into the room in the right front corner. Having it open out would open up possibilities, so I'm considering that. Even then, I really only could have them pulled out a foot or so, but I could line the front wall behind them with more OC703 panels. I wouldn't mind a pair of MMG-W's as surrounds, but I'd want a better center than the MMG-C...and on and on it goes... ;)

Alan M

Second Unit
I ended up building two simple dipole subs using the 12" drivers(front and sidewalls)
I agree about the MMGC.After many hours of fiddling with it,i finally just used an EQ on the center.Its reasonable now,but I'm looking at the CC3 :)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
AlanZ said:
You guys have GOT to see this....
That looks awesome!! You know, I used my CC3 with 1.6's in front when I had a 5.1 maggie system, and thought it sounded great, but never heard the CC3 with my 3.6's. Sounds like this fellow has a pretty keen sense of hearing differences in his set up. Good for him, and Grant did a great job on that center speaker stand!!
MAGGIE MAGIC.
BTW....system update: All of my IC's are now Nordost Red Dawn. I will soon be updating from my Nordost Solar Wind speaker cables to either Blue Heaven or Red Dawn. This line of wires works real well in my system!!

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Not a lot of new updates. I have ended up crossing over my MMGs at 80hz because lower bass (probably the 40-80hz range) was causing panel resonances that I thought was muddying the mids. I'm still happy but I think the MMGs are too small for my room. I just don't have the funds for the 1.6s yet and don't know when I will. I'd like to upgrade to the 1.6s, get a tube preamp, get a screen for my projector (instead of DIY) and a few other things. I really need to win the lottery.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
My latest update was to finish out my interconnects and speaker cables with all Nordost Red Dawns. I had been using a mix of Solar Wind, Blue Heaven, and Red Dawn. The all Red Dawn set up sounds the best so far!! Thinking of getting a TT and phono preamp....waiting on my bonus to see if I can.

I also did some experimenting with speaker positioning and found that with the tweeters on the inside, and speakers toed in like the Magnepan manual suggests, yields a fantastically wide and deep sound stage, with better overall dynamics and timing!! I wish you all could come over and give it a listen....I'm am very pleased with my results!!

Dean_M

Second Unit
AlanZ said:
Am I the only one concerned that we've not heard from Dean in ages?
I thought this thread would never die. I've just been waiting for you guys to shut up, so I can get a word in edgewise. :D
Actually, I've gone back to work again full time and I got sidetracked with my car for a while.
I'm currently in the process of making a deal on a nice pair of 3.6s and trying to figure out what to do with the spare MC1s I have. I think that I'm going to put them in the bedroom. Does anyone know of a cheap receiver that will run the MC1s? I don't need anything fancy, since about all I ever do is watch the news.

Dean_M

Second Unit
Alan Pummill said:
Still lovin' that MAGGIE MAGIC!!
Me too. I pick up my 3.6s Saturday morning. I got the black & cherry like yours. I need to get some MYE stands for them. Why don't you upgrade to 20.1s and sell me your stands cheap. :D

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Dean_M said:
Why don't you upgrade to 20.1s and sell me your stands cheap. :D
LOL....not gonna do it!! But I am getting ready to get back into vinyl!! Looking at TT's right now!! You're old enough to remember LP records, aren't you Deano??
Oh, and Gongrats on the 3.6's!!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Hey!!! What are all you crazy Alans and honorary Alans doing nowadays?? I go away for a while and you guys let our thread just fizzle away???? SHAME ON YOU!!! :D

Linda K

Agent
Real Name
Linda K
AlanZ said:
Hey!!! What are all you crazy Alans and honorary Alans doing nowadays?? I go away for a while and you guys let our thread just fizzle away???? SHAME ON YOU!!! :D
Your HT room is looking great, sweetie!
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Z, those are the funniest looking maggies I've ever seen.

BTW, I'm enjoying each and every note from my maggies!! Got a new Conrad Johnson preamp....nice!!

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
So are you guys planning any upgrades in the near future? I've just put up some room treatments and added a center channel (something I never thought I'd do again...long story), and I'm planning a subwoofer upgrade, more room treatments, a McCormack MAP-1 multi-channel preamp, and a DAC...likely to be the Monarchy NM24.
You guys?

Ken Situ

Stunt Coordinator
Well, just want to keep this thread alive.

I have a pair of MG12, and I loved it. I was driving the Maggies with a pair of Dynaco Mark IV mono blocks, and a DynaCo PAS 3X preamp. I loved how it sounded.

For the last week, I swapped the Mark IV with a David Hafler DH200 for comparison with the Mark IV. The Maggies seemed more alive than before, but I liked the Mark IV sound more.

I will later switch the DH200 out with a Yamaha P2250, and see if that makes any difference.

Maggies are also very good for playing conversation. You will definitely feel like you are sitting there with the people having the conversion. Try Marian McPartland's Piano jazz with guest Steely Dan CD. You will find yourself in that conversation.

Also, Patricia Barber sounds incredible on Maggies.

Dean_M

Second Unit
It's alive! It's alive!

New upgrades to report:

Did a total remodel of the living room, including tearing out the fireplace which gave me lots more room for my speakers:

3.6R fronts, 1.6QR rears, CC3 front center & rear center

I made built-in A/V cabinets in a side wall to house and conceal A/V equipment.

I have an Integra DTC-9.8 processor on order, which is replacing my Outlaw Audio 990.

I bought a Pioneer Elite BD-95FD

I bought a Samsung HL-T6187S LED driven DLP

I have an Oppo 980H on the way to use as a universal transport with the 9.8, which is replacing my Pioneer Elite DV-79AVI

Living room furniture is being replaced to better work with the AV stuff.

It's been a busy year.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
DEEEEAAAAANNNNNN-OOOOOOOOOO!!!!!
Was worried about ya, my friend! Glad to hear that you're still making awesome upgrades to your system!
You'll have to let us know how that Integra works out. I'm really frustrated cause I've basically targeted a multichannel analog preamp as my perfect solution, but the damn BD and HD-DVD players are only outputting 2 channels of high rez audio! Some of them have 5.1 or 7.1 outputs, but you can only get DD, DTS, and DD+...if you want DD True HD or DTS MA, you have to use the HDMI. At least that's what my research has led me to believe. I was really keen on that new Samsung combo player, but it seems to have a lot of bugs.
What do you have for 2-channel these days? Did you ever pick up those class D amps you were talking about a while back?
Ken: I couldn't agree more...Maggies are amazing with vocals!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks