Maggie owners and fans...Help!

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Arvin_C, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Arvin_C

Arvin_C Agent

Hello everyone!

I have decided to go with Magnepan's MMG W speakers for each corner with an MMG C in the front. They fit well within my $1500.00 speaker budget ($299/per for MMG W and $299/each for MMG C) and seem to be the "most" speaker for the given price. I have to order them direct from Magnepan, but have their usual 60 day trail period to try 'em out. But I have a few concerns and questions.

I was wondering what specs I should look for when shopping for a sub to match with the MMGs. At Magnepan's site, they have a review article that mentions a frequency range of 100Hz-16kHz. Should I take this to mean that I should go bigger/more powerful when looking for a sub?

Also, as far as a receiver is concerned, do the Maggies present any problems as far as power is concerned? I have not bought a new receiver as yet, although I am leaning toward Rotel's RSX-1055 or 1065.

Any thoughts, info or opinions would be great...especially if you got set-up hints for these awesome speakers!

Arvin C

2. Luitz

Luitz Stunt Coordinator

My 2cents is
    Thats very nice equipment. You cannot go wrong.
    As for the sub SVS or HSU. All they want u to do is make sure u got some low end Maggys dont play much below 80hz so the lack subbass anb bass big time. Buy anyones sub. But around heres Its SVS,HUS or DIY.

NIce product though love the Rotel

3. Tom Fynan

Tom Fynan Stunt Coordinator

One issue with Maggies is that they love power. The more you can give them, the more they will "sing." I would recommend at least 100W rms at 8 Ohm, even though Magnepan says you can get away with 50. I have Maggie 1.6s for my front speakers, and run them with a 250W Proceed HPA2, with a 125W Proceed AMP3 for my Maggie CC# center and MC1 surrounds. It is a very sweet sounding system, and the extra power really makes a difference. I woul dgo with the Rotel 1065 if you can swing it.

The subwoofer doesn't necessarily have to be big or powerful, just able to reach up to 100Hz, so you don't loose any of the signal in that frequency range. I would look for a subwoofer that is "musical" and not just good at pumping out bass for movies. Even if you don't plan on listening to a lot of music through your HT system, you will once you hear those speakers.[​IMG]

I'm sure you will love your Maggies. IMHO they are the best sounding speakers you can buy for the money. The only trouble is, once you've heard planar, you can never go back to boxes.[​IMG]

Tom Fynan

4. Robert Cowan

Robert Cowan Supporting Actor

woohoo! another convert.

everything everyone already said is 100% true. the best advice for maggies is give them POWER. if you are entertaining the 1065, do it without blinking. also, placement is a BIG part of maggies.

5. Tim Streagle

Tim Streagle Stunt Coordinator

Welcome to the world of transparent speakers! You will not believe you spent less than $3000 for your Maggies! Yes, more power makes them really sing, yet they will sound better than almost any other speaker in their price range with only 50-75 watts. Just make sure the power supply has some shoulders. You are about to rediscover every recording you own. You are soon going to watch a DVD and realize you haven't spent the entire movie fiddling with the remote, "fine-tuning" the audio.

FWIW, my Mags sound nice with a Hsu VTF-2. Pop the cork for movies, plug it for music!

6. Arvin_C

Arvin_C Agent

Thanks for the info and support guys!

Will definately post back once the Maggies get delivered, although may have to just look at them lovingly while I'm waiting on the new receiver.

I will take it to heart concerning the power requirements...actually, the dealer I auditioned the Rotel at commented that I should look no lower than 80 watts of "good" power when taking into account the Maggies. Once again, the Rotels are leading the list, but a great deal on a Harman Kardon 7200 has presented itself and now must be considered.

So, looking at my time frame, I should be up and running by March! I am as eager to listen to my record collection as I am to have a proper HT set-up again.

Thanks again for the help and keep any suggestions (especially on placement) coming!

Arvin C

7. Jeff O.

Jeff O. Stunt Coordinator

Arvin,
    The other thing no one mentioned is that since those speakers don't go very low, you may want a pre/pro or receiver that has a relatively high crossover for bass management (I would imagine around 100 if that is what their lower limit is). In that respect, the HK would be a good choice since I think it has a variable crossover. Also, I think the power requirements will be less of a problem if you crossover at a relatively high frequency and use a powered sub. Just make sure the sub extends up to the crossover point you select. I have had no problems driving my maggies to sufficient volume in my room with 75 watts (and a powered subwoofer).
    Jeff

8. Mitch_J

Mitch_J Stunt Coordinator

Just the thread that I've been keeping an eye out for. I just recently "found" maggies and too am interested in the MMG W and MMG C. I already purchased a Sub (Aperion S-12) it has a built in polarity control and adjustable crossover from 40Hz to 160Hz. Which is probably a good thing since the receiver I recently got (HK 225) has a fixed crossover of 100Hz. I'm wondering though if the HK has enough power to fire up the Maggies. (70 RMS x 2--50 RMS x 5) What do you think?

9. Alan Pummill

Alan Pummill Screenwriter

I bought a Earthquake Cinenova Grande amp (5 x 600wpc at 4 ohms) to push my new maggies...
    Plus, I just placed an order for a SVS PC-Ultra to replace my Paradigm PW-2200 in my all Magnepan system.
    MG1.6/QR (fronts)
    MGMC1 (surrounds)
    MGCC3 (center)

Can't wait to hear this combo

10. Mitch_J

Mitch_J Stunt Coordinator

Anyone? Ever matched up maggies to a H/K?

11. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I haven't but I suspect the 225 at 50W x 5 would really be pushing it. It would work, just not necessarily all that great. My upstairs system consists of the original MG-I powered by a 100 wpc Adcom (150 wpc into 4 ohms) and the speakers gobble up every bit of it. It gets them going but not shining.

12. Chester II

Chester II Stunt Coordinator

Arvin dude,

I have the Magnepan MGMC1 speakers with the older CC2 center channel in a 5.1 configuration. My subwoofer is the HSU VTF-2 and it is F A N T A S T I C ! ! ! My receiver is the Rotel RSX-1055 (more than enough power at 85 true watts per channel)and the sound it produces for movies and music is superb. You need any "FAST" subwoofer and the SVS and HSU subwoofers are great compliments to the Magnepans. My VTF-2 is turned down to less than a 1/4 of its potential power and the house SHAKES with action movies and the music reproduction is excellent. My understanding is that Dr. Hsu uses ribbon speakers for his personal listening. I highly recommend the rotel/magnepan/Hsu combination.

Good luck dude,

Chester

13. Chris Quinn

Chris Quinn Screenwriter

My local Maggie dealer has all the Maggie demo rooms on NAD equipment.

14. Jay Foster

Jay Foster Stunt Coordinator

Hi,

For those of you that have the Maggies, how much of a problem is the small "sweet spot"? I have not had the chance to demo these but I've read this is part of the problem with them. If I got them, I would use them 95% of the time for movies. I did demo some mirages recently and the sweet spot appeared (to my ears anyway) to be rather large.

15. Chester II

Jay dude,

The sweet spot in my experience refers to stereo mode, not multi-channel situations. I never felt I was leaving any "sweet spot" while watching movies with the center channel activated. My entire six foot couch which was fifteen feet from the screen and center channel and thirteen feet from the front left and right speakers (twelve feet apart) sounded great. I detected no gaps or losses along the length of the couch. In stereo mode I noticed a VERY tight sweet spot which doesn't matter as that meant I was listening alone.

Dude,

Chester

16. David James

David James Stunt Coordinator

Chester,
    Thanks for the comments and which Maggies do you own?

17. Chester II

Dude,

Look up a few messages to see my model speakers....[​IMG]

Dude,

Chester

18. Tim Streagle

Tim Streagle Stunt Coordinator

My Mags are old (1985), but they are the same basic tech. as the newer MMG-W's. I notice a sweet spot that is more related to a vertical aspect than a horizontal plane. When I am seated the high end is very open and detailed. When I'm standing there is a slight reduction in highs. It is not noticeable enough to be obvious and the speakers sound great even when I'm in another room!

Most Maggies I have ever heard are designed to be listened to when seated. I wouldn't let any "sweet spot" talk dissuade you from trying them. The other sonic benefits will have you wondering what took you so long!

When I've got LOTR playing at 95dB peaks, I get lost in the movie. The whole idea of a sound system fades away: I am immersed, caught up in the make believe world of Peter Jackson.

19. Jay Foster

Jay Foster Stunt Coordinator

Hey guys,

Thanks for the comments. This is exactly what I was looking for in response to my question. I'm moving to a new house shortly and I think I'm going to have to try these out once I get moved in all the way. Thanks again.