Magazines for Boys?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DeborahK, Mar 12, 2002.

1. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

Since this is such a guy oriented place I was hoping some of you male parents or younger men out there could help me. I am looking for a good magazine to give a 6 year old boy who loves sports. The magazine does not have to be a sports magazine, but if there is such an animal for the 6-12 year old set, I would love to hear about it.

Both my kids (girls and now grown) had magazine subscriptions when they were young and as I recall these were to Cricket, Ranger Rick, and Highlights for Children. It has been a long time since I have looked for a kids magazine so all suggestions of those more current in this world gratefully accepted! BTW, this is for an American Indian child living on the Pine Tree Reservation in South Dakoka, in case that might affect your suggestions in any way. I am told he loves to read and write, but I am not sure at what level, so something with a fair number of pictures would clearly be a good choice.

Thanks!

Deborah

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I just LOVED comic books whan I was that young, but that was 25 years ago... I liked Dondald Duck, Superman and Spiderman. That's what I would get him, but I'm sure others have better suggestions.

/Mike

3. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
  4. Denward

Denward Supporting Actor

I know there's Sports Illustrated for Kids. Not sure about the reading level though. Here a link to their site The regular SI always has tons of great pictures.

5. SteveTomassetti

I would recommend Sports Illustrated for kids as well. Also, Ranger Rick is a nature magazine which may be perfect for him. check that out at http://www.nwf.org/rangerrick/

6. Peter Kline

Peter Kline Cinematographer

7. DeborahK

DeborahK Supporting Actor

Thanks, guys -- great suggestions, all! Keep 'em coming. The next step will be to hunt some of these down and have a look for myself so I really appreciate all the links where they were available.

Comic books/graphical novels for kids are also a good suggestion . I intend to check some of these out as well, thought they may well be more in the single purchase rather than subscription category.

Thanks again (and also for that link to the former discussion!)

Deborah