Magazines and me....

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by ChrisHeflen, Apr 26, 2004.

1. ChrisHeflen

ChrisHeflen Supporting Actor

Sep 9, 2002
    Am I the only one that thinks there's is way too much emphasis on video and movies in the stereo magazines?

It's like issues will go by and there will be no reviews on equippment like amps and pre-pros and such.
    It's all video. Projectors, scalers, movies,...
    One would think with all the new lower priced seperates and the way they change receiver models that you would see them reviewed as much.
    Sure I would like to know if a movie I rent will look good and sound good, but content is subjective and I would still probably rent it even if it doesn't live up to the p.q.-audio standards.

I mean I saw one review on the highly anticipated Fosgate pre. I have not seen a review on the new Newcastle piece, the new Rotel 1068, the Adcom 880 (1), the Integra pre, anything from NAD... the Bryston sp-1 (1).

Maybe it's just me and I need to investigate a second mortgage to get a projector so I'm more interested in my subscriptions.

Am I missing something? Am I dumb and just don't know it?
    Worse, am I alone?

Mods, forgive me if this is in the wrong place.
  2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jun 3, 1999
    Chris, this issue is addressed directly in the latest Sound & Vision magazine -- in a column as well as a feature story.

You have to bear in mind that hobbyist audio always has been a fringe pursuit. On the other hand, home theater has been a mass-market phenomenon ever since DVD arrived on the scene. Most people are more impressed by pristine video, apparently.

A case in point: my first wife. When we were living together, my continually evolving high-end audio system -- easily better than any other kid's on the block -- could not have underwhelmed her more. She just didn't get it. (A divorce, then, should have seemed inevitable. [​IMG])

Similarly, how many of your friends, coworkers, and relatives have ever put in a lot of effort assembling music systems during the heyday of two-channel? I bet you were the only one among them, eh?

Yet, seemingly, everybody loves a pretty and colorful picture. DVD has blown them away -- and the 5.1-channel surround sound is but part of the equation.

It's just the way things are. Not good, but that's reality.