magazine reviews.. do they even finish games?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andrew s wells, Oct 25, 2002.

1. Andrew s wells

Andrew s wells Second Unit

Or more to the point for this example, even play much of them before they rate the game? In the new issue of game informer, they review quantum redshift for the Xbox, and say "its too slow, and only 2 laps per race..." Anyone who has this game and has spent any time with it knows that playing each level of difficulty, you earn points to upgrade your ship, and this game becomes ANYTHING but slow. Honestly one of the fastest games i have ever seen and becomes EXTREMELY challenging. The number of laps also increases with each difficulty. So the difficulty level selection is not like starting a whole new game as it is in most games.Any power boosts you have carry over to the next level of difficulty.. so i ask... do reviewers play through games or just simply play for a while and slap a "review" dowm?... In the long run, for me...it doesnt matter what they say if i really want the game, but this DOES make a difference to some, who may not get the game now because of inaccurate comments like the ones in the review. By the way... i know game informer is not the best mag out there, but ive seen things like this in other mags too. [​IMG]
    thoughts?

2. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

some claim to not review a game until they have completed it, but who really wants to play Kiss Psycho Circus on the DC??? Or i wonder how long they played Kabuki Warriors before they determined they were crap?

3. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast
    Supporter

Clint
    Think how many magazines reviewed Battletoads for the NES, then consider how few people in the world can finish it. :wink:

4. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

And that's why game reviewers are all full of crap. If they had some gaming degree or were one of those freaky little kids who could always kick your ass in a game even if it was their first time playing then I would care about what they are saying. A better choice would be game developers who have actually made a quality game or two and know what to look for in a game. Even that wouldn't be perfect though. Games aren't an exact science and something as subjective as games or movies make no sense being reviewed since opinions may differ and one person's garbage might be another's gold. Just tell me the basic jist of the thing, whether or not it has any major flaws, and I'll do the rest myself. I suggest people do that instead of listening to some mook on a web site who might have played too much of a particular genre and has gotten burnt out while you're fresh to it and due to listening to them miss out on a game you might have loved.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Battletoads is an excellent example, along with Super Monkey Ball. No way in heck can a reviewer have the patience to play entirely through those in less than a week. But they talk about the last levels and final bosses. The companies might provide a level skip function on the reviewed games, who knows?

6. James Zos

James Zos Supporting Actor

Some reviewers resort to cheats in order to finish a game in time by the deadline they've been assigned. I think that's okay - better than actually not playing all the way through the game.
    Some games don't improve as they go along, so you don't need to finish them in order to get a strong sense of their overall quality. The problem is that not all games are like that.
    I have read reviews where it appeared that the reviewer barely knew anything about the game at all. As consumers the best thing for us to do is to look at how a particular game fares among a large number of reviewers, or concentrate on a few who have written smart reviews in the past.
    Just like movie reviewers, remember that game reviewers aren't scientists and much of what the do - but not ALL of what they do - comes down to expressing an opinion. Nothing wrong with that, as long as they express it well and only after spending enough time with a particular game.
    Personally I tend to find "hands on previews" that actually feature "no hands on" information about games more annoying than bad reviews.