Magazine advice......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brent_H, Nov 15, 2002.

1. Brent_H

Brent_H Second Unit

Aug 14, 2002
    I was just wondering what magazines you guys could recommend for audio equipment reviews and such. Right now I get The Perfect Vision, Sound and Vision, and DVD Etc but they don't really get into audio-only stuff so much. The only one I know of is The Absolute Sound, but I don't like it, everything seems to be catered towards millionaires. I am looking for something in the average audiophile price range [​IMG]
  2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Jun 3, 1999
    Since the massive advent of home theater, the world of two channel-only audio is shrinking dramatically. Sad to say, but most people never were much into hobbyist audio; it was always a lonely fringe compared with the mass-market stuff most people threw together for music.

As a result, most audio-only magazines have folded or have changed formats to accommodate home theater. The oldest, Audio magazine, folded two years ago. Stereo Review morphed into Sound & Vision. High Fidelity folded more than a decade ago.

And so, all that's left are the two leading players of what was once referred to as the "underground audio press" (but which are now very much advertising-accepting "above-ground" publications): The Absolute Sound and Stereophile, both of which still promulgate the silly voodooism that proliferates among some high-enders (i.e., electronics have their own "sound," exotic speaker cables only, "magic bricks," etc., etc.).

There is also Peter Aczel's The Audio Critic, which does acknowledge and accept the concept of home theater. Too, Aczel has gone from being a total "golden-eared" type to being a purely subjectivist, "measurements-rule" audio scribe.

And then other small publications abound: The $ensible $ound and a few smaller ones.

I am very sympathetic to the two-channel audio world, but it has been left behind the times—due largely to certain esoteric manufacturers refusing to acknowledge the new market realities.