Maelstrom sono size??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Beck, Apr 5, 2002.

1. Kevin Beck

Kevin Beck Stunt Coordinator

Guys,..

I'm in a spot. I thought I had my sub situation all figured out,...had a design from Dam Wiggins in my head for a year now. Thought it would take care of my needs just fine. Well,..it may have,...but now that I'm back looking into things again,..there is the dreaded second thoughts. So many ways to go,..What has really put it ovet the top, was a thread dealing with multiple subs needing to be in the same corner, or wherever you end up placing them. That won't work too well in my room. So now I'm looking at a dual unit, or a single 18" driver in a single unit. Its killing me.

I have my 24" sono tube setting in the garage, just begging me to work on it, every time I walk out there. Thats been a lot,..try to get all the little things done on the house, and the theater as well.

Does anybody have 24" ported sonosob configuration for a Maelstrom? I would really appreciate the info.

Thanks much guys,...Kevin,...>>>--->

2. DanWiggins

DanWiggins Second Unit

How about 10 cubic feet, tuned to 18 Hz? Single Maelstrom, 6" ID by 18.5"L vent. Use 45" of your 24" diameter tube, and inset 2.25" thick endcaps. Should get you lots of output! In room extension to the mid teens, monster SPL output (goosed with 400W, you just barely reach Xmax of the driver, and should have in-room SPLs well above the 115 dB SPL mark from ~16 Hz and up).

Dan Wiggins

Adire Audio

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Kevin, you will most likely have to port out the top endcap with a 24" wide sonotube and a 18" Maelstrom if you use a 6" port. My Sunosub II (link in signature below) pretty much matches the specs that Dan outlined above (my Tempest sub is tuned just a bit lower - longer 6" port), but I got to put the port on the bottom endcap since I used the 15" Tempest.

4. Bryan Michael

Bryan Michael Supporting Actor

on the bigger ports do you have to flair the ends?

5. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I did not flare the 6" port, but feel free to route in a roundover lip if you have access to such tools/bits.