Maelstrom done! (sort of), Thanks to all and Dan Wiggins

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JohnA, Jul 20, 2003.

1. JohnA

JohnA Stunt Coordinator

Oct 25, 1999
    Well after starting out to build a Tempest 2 1/2 years ago and then changing over to a Maelstrom, I finally have it up and running.

The cosmetics are not yet complete.

I used a custom sealed design, heavily braced (sixteen internal barces), roughly 24" cube. Net volume is 5.2 cu ft. I used single layer 3/4" mdf on all sides and braces but the side with the driver. This side is four layers thick. It is stuffed with 5 lbs. of polyfil.

The amp, AVA250, is mounted in a seperate, sealed compartment on the back wall of the subwoofer.

I have had no time to tweak, I just dropped it in the same location of my previous sub, a Definitive Technology Powerfield 1500. This is a sealed design with a 15" driver and 280 watt amp.

Here are my first impressions.

There is a LOT more bass coming from the Maelstrom. I initially had to double check the gain and cross over. even at very low volumes, with the gain set at about 15% and the cross over set at roughly 100Hz, I can hear the bass. With my PF1500, I have to set the gain to 80% to get the same effect.

I will begin the tweaking end of it now. I really don't have much choice on sub placement. It is in the rear, right corner. The only place it would fit and be somewhat hidden (behind a sectional). I will fine tune the gain, cross over and phase.

The next phase will be covering the box with a cherry veneer, topping it with a granite slab and hopefully having a custom speaker grill with machined aluminum beveled edge made.

I will post a picture when it is complete.

It took me about 30 months longer than hoped but,I learned alot in the process and I am very pleased with the results so far.

Thank you to all who contributed, there are many of you out there. I wanted to especially thank Dan Wiggins who answered many, many questions and critiqued numerous designs over a two year period. Talk about customer support!

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

2. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

Jun 20, 2001
    That is great news! How do you like the sound of the Maelstrom? Go low enough?

I used to have a similar sub, I had a Def Tech PF15TL. When I got that it was a huge improvement over my previous sub which was a yammy 8"er. Now I have a vented Tempest and it wipes the floor with the DefTech.
  3. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Jan 1, 1998
    With the high efficiency of the Maelstrom you'll notice that you dont have to turn up the gain as much to get similar output.
    Let us know what you think of the sound quality as well. Looking at the design I'm sure it is a very nice sounding sub that will perform very well with both music and HT.