Maelstrom DIY sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mickey Geer, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Mickey Geer

Mickey Geer Agent

I found a couple Maelstrom subs for sale on a car audio site. I was thinking of buying one of them for a DIY sub after being so intrigued from the posts on this board. My question is am I going to get the punch I need for HT from this sub or is it going to be more low end and a lack of punch? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

2. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

I would say that it will provide plenty of punch but it all depends on what you want out of it. If anything it has less low end when compared to other Adire home drivers, but mine is still flat to 20Hz in room. The nice thing about this sub is that you dont need a monster amp to get it moving - 250-350 watts and your smiling [​IMG]

3. Scott Simonian

Scott Simonian Screenwriter

I still wish the Maelstrom was more popular. I mean, it not like its no good. In fact, I havent seen a better 18" sub anywhere, ever.
    Kyle- I still want a room full of your monster Maelstroms you made. They are so beautiful. You know what would be cool, but maybe hard to design. Picture your Maelstrom you made but just I tiny bit taller. Then mabye add 1 or 2 AV8s from Adire or their new Koda 6s and the tweeter (I forgot who made those, from the kit 81,281,LCC) Have the sub crossed from the midbass at about 80hz or lower, whatever.
    The "audiophiles" wouldnt agree with this design but think it would sound great! It would be visually intimidating too. People would love the look of those big 18 inchers. Maybe if I get the big bucks this next summer Ill have you make em for me. [​IMG]

4. Mickey Geer

Mickey Geer Agent

Has anyone built a sonotube-style sub using a Maelstrom? I have some 30" sonotube and a woodshop at work at my disposal. Anyone have any opinions on the positives or negatives of this kind of setup? I need any and all the help I can get. Thanks

5. Mickey Geer

Mickey Geer Agent

Sorry for thinking out loud, I got excited and starting moving faster than I could think. Anyhow I have decided to buy a Tempest and use it in an Adire sonotube enclosure. By using 30" sonotube I have laying around, I can keep the height within SAF. I am thinking downfiring sub and 2- 3" downfiring ports as well. I wanted to run this by the board to see if I am making any fatal mistakes that I will pay for later. Any helpful info or constructive critisism, feel free to post away. Thanks

6. Mickey Geer

Mickey Geer Agent

Does this sound feasible to everyone. Please post thoughts and let me know what you think. Thanks