Maelstrom and Dayton 15" DVC question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark_E_Smith, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

Has anyone had listening experince with the Adire Maelstrom and the Dayton 15" DVC in a sealed enclosure? Which one is more musical, and is tight. They both seem to model similar. I will be using one in a LT with max spl 104 to 108 dB.

2. Rick Guynn

Rick Guynn Second Unit

I think the person to ask would be Kyle from acoustic visions... i believe he posts around here too.

RG

3. I have heard good things about both drivers. One thing going for the maestrom is Sd. It has a significatly higher Sd which means that for the same SPL, it is moving less....=less potential distortion.

one thing against it is price.

4. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

The price is the reason I am considering the Dayton,BUT I dont want to buy a speaker that sounds muddy and imprecise. My current sub is a M&K sealed 75 watt 12" it is the tightest, most musical bass I have ever heard. Its out of breath preety quick though. And I suspect it will not go as low as I can with an LT and a DVC or Maelstrom. Plus I want to see if I can build a sub that sounds as good but louder. Maybe even sound better.

5. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Okay, I havent done head to head tests between the two in similar sealed cabs but here are my impressions.
    I have done a Dayton in a sealed enclosure and it is very, very nice. I have also done a Maelstrom in a vented application and it is also very, very nice.
    The Maelstrom seems to blend and disappear into the room really, really well so I assume the sealed enclosure will be every bit as good and then some.
    Bottom line: Both are very nice drivers and you cant go wrong with either one. The Maelstrom will cost twice as much but you have the potential for greater output from it as well. Another nice advantage it has is the sensitivity....if you don't have tons of power for it you will be just fine. [​IMG]

6. Kyle Richardson

Another option to consider is the Adire Tumult 15" driver. Should have great output and world class sound quality.

7. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

I have only casually followed the thread about the Tumult. I was assuming that it would sacrifice SQ for Xmax. The issue with the Maelstrom is Xmax, 104 to 108 dB depending on room rise and LT F3 of 20 Hz, is all that the 13mm will allow. The DVC gets there at about the same with the same size box. I am not in a hurry to build this sub. I was thinking why doesnt someone build a active crossover that acts like a baffle step in a MTM but for a sealed sub Then this thread http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...threadid=88950
    popped up and I did a little poking around on the web to learn about LTs. Now i'm wondering why all subs arent made this way. Price would be determined by the SQ /spl output not the F3

8. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

9. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

Heres what Im thinking,
    flat and tight , F3 20 Hz .577 Q
    95 dB = $350
    100 dB = $500
    105 dB = $650
    110 dB = $ 750
    120 dB = $1500 - $2000
    They already have most of the circuit they need already in most plate amps so the LT would not cost that much and they could spec the driver out for Xmax. And of course power costs how much do you want?
    [​IMG]

10. Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey Producer

11. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

Mostly ignorance, I just allways have believed that there is always a trade off and Xmax was a big problem for SQ with the cone distorting.

12. eric

eric Agent

13. Mark_E_Smith

Mark_E_Smith Second Unit

Actually the Maelstrom in a sealed LT configuration is only a 22" cube!

14. Kyle Richardson

Yes, it was the sound of my maelstrom that seems to blend and disappear not the actual unit. Heck, how do you make a 10cu ft enclosure disappear?? Rather than make it disappear I decided to make it noticable [​IMG]

15. eric

eric Agent

doesnt take much to do that, does it? [​IMG] yours isnt a prototype, is it? the one i got to play with was a proto, and it was about 4-5 cubes ported, and running off the hs250 amp.
    eric

16. Kyle Richardson

No, just a regular production unit.