What's new

Maelstroem in Anamorphic Widescreen? (1 Viewer)

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Wow, surprised to see this thread pop up again.
Glad you liked it Doug, now just recommend it around like I've been doing.
Still waiting to hear if Mark Pfieffer got a copy, and offer still stands to you guys if you're in the US and would like me to pick up a copy for you.
Jason
------------------
jasonhtf6.jpg

[email protected] ICQ: 16733922 I Am Jack's DVD List
"Enjoy the Ozzy and keep your mouth shut!" George Plimpton
Film Critic, Link Removed

MartyD

Grip
Jason,
I finally managed to order a copy from HMV and it arrived at my home in the US but since I am currently living in Germany, I will have to wait until my wife comes back from there and delivers it to me. I will let you know in a couple of weeks what I thought about it.

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Intrest pulled me into this one too.
I saw it a retailer for 16.99 and said hey why not
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and try to watch it without subtitles...I haven't taken french for a couple years and let's see if it is a "learned trait"
I wouldn't have even stopped to look at this dvd if i didn't see this thread (plus i remembered how chmiel got suckered into paying more than he had to on ebay) so thanks guys (wait i guess I should wait till i've had time to watch it first before showing my undying gratitude
tongue.gif

------------------
Bring Degrassi out on DVD!!

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
For those of you in the United States who are interested in the film and don't want to pick up the DVD, the film gets a limited theatrical release starting November 9th.
------------------
mynewsig.jpg

Link Removed - DVD Reviewer
Link Removed / AOL IM: MrMatthew / ICQ: 96444542
"I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class. Especially since I rule."

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
Refreshed for new peeps to discover.....also, Arrow Features is distributing this in the US.
Looking forward to reading Mark's DVD review of the film as well. :)
Jason
PS: CNL.com still lists it in stock and now has an even lower price at $23.72
------------------
Link Removed
"Enjoy the Ozzy and keep your mouth shut!" George Plimpton

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter

MartyD

Grip
Finally I was able to watch this and I have to say Wow! Lets start with the cinematography. Excellent use of lighting, filters and other things to achieve a very distinct look that fits the story perfectly. The story is very emotional and is offset by this bright and metallic look. It also has a fair amount of comedy and this helps to make the story more approachable. I have heard though that some of the subtle comedy gets lost by not speaking French and having to read the subtitles but there is still enough comedy to brighten things up. The theme to me seems to be that even if you are way down in life, chance will sometimes throw you a rope and bring you back to good times. The direction is very good as well and the actors are great, especially Marie-Josee' Croze! She has this radiating natural beauty. The soundtrack was great and is a welcome contrast to that overblown, classical, theme repeating, and emotional cue-giving crap we get so much from Hollywood these days. Every song was there for a reason and was helping the movie and its story. The fish was a clever device because aside from giving the movie that weird sense it also illustrates the state that our lead character is in, of being emotionally gutted but than coming back to a better life (a possibility obviously not in the fishes future! Read Mark Pfeiffers Review for more on this!). All in all this was a great find and it proves that this place is great for broadening your horizon on great international films. Whenever you get the chance to recommend a good film you have seen in your country, please do so.
[Edited last by MartyD on August 28, 2001 at 05:42 AM]

Jason Whyte

Screenwriter
I love this:
Before the title appears, we see four sentences that are not translated into English, so I’m assuming (and hope) they are unimportant
I believe these are the "lyrics" to the opening choir before the title appears, and is "sung", onscreen.
MartyD,
Big thanks for your post, and I'm thrilled you got to take a look at the film. I see enough of your guys' US films (which are technically foreign :)) and our domestic films never get any attention, so its nice when you come to our part of the world and sample some of our cinema. I guess I should start campaigns to get "waydowntown" on DVD and a new 16x9 DVD of "New Waterford Girl" going. Who's with me?
(*cricket* *cricket*)
wink.gif

Jason
(This thread will never die)
------------------
Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed Link Removed
"Look, I'm Mrs. Hitler!" Rat Race

MartyD

Grip
Jason,
People besides me who have seen Maelstrom whose first name begins with an M: 3(Now 4!
wink.gif
)
By the way, I am originally from Germany and just live in the US so the films from Hollywood are actually foreign to me as well.
It was interesting to read that some inspiration for the films music came from Richard Wagner Arias.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks