What's new

Maelstorm Driver and a few other questions. (1 Viewer)

Dan_Myers

Agent
I am still in the planning stages of building my first sub so I am not an expert on this stuff. But looking at the new Adire Maelstorm I would think the tempest would still be a better driver. Am I missing something in the numbers?
http://www.adireaudio.com/cd/maelstrom.htm
Using the WinISD program for some modeling. I do not ever see a difference between building say a box with 1 driver - vs- 2 drivers or more etc. What is the advantage of more drivers. Or say building an enclosure with 1 driver, then having two of those enclosures stacked on top of each other like I have seen some people do?
Also if you have a plate amp and a dual voice coil driver how to you wire them together. Wire both voice coils together, both + to the + of them amp, and both - to the - of the amp? What would the ohms end up being on this?
Thanks.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I suggest that you download and use the LspCAD from Adire Audio. It'll give you more detailed modelling for either Adire sub driver.
The main advantage of multiple drivers is greater SPL output from the overall subwoofer, usually 3dB-6dB more SPL (but requires more power) for each additional sub. The other advantage is reducing the "stress" on each sub when getting to a certain SPL.
The advantage of multiple single driver enclosures allows for more flexibility in subwoofer placement.
Depending on the impedance of the voice coils, when you parallel the dual voice coils, you cut the impedance in half, so in the case of either the Tempest or Maelstrom, you wind up with a nominal 4 ohm impedance when you hook them up in parallel.
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Greg Monfort

Supporting Actor
>But looking at the new Adire Maelstorm I would think the tempest would still be a better driver. Am I missing something in the numbers?
====
WRT better, it depends on your application. The Maelstrom is AFAIK targeted at the pro sound market (and I assume the car audio crowd), so WRT specs looks like a winner. The Tempest OTOH is optimized for HT/music sub apps, and from a construction POV seems to play second fiddle to the Maelstrom, but then doesn't need to be as robust either for its intended app.
GM
------------------
Loud is beautiful, if it's clean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks