What's new

Mae West: The Essential Collection March 6 (1 Viewer)

[email protected]

Supporting Actor

Attachments

• 91fYtdPgkAL._SL1500_.jpg
    91fYtdPgkAL._SL1500_.jpg
    279.1 KB · Views: 185
  • 91MKLID0fpL._SL1500_.jpg
    91MKLID0fpL._SL1500_.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 246

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Why is this not a blu-ray? We already have a Mae West DVD collection.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
Again, I welcome the option of having all these films in one collection - and on pressed discs. Hopefully Universal will release a Deanna Durbin collection too.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
Yeah baby, come up and see me sometime. At last we have the one that saved Paramount Pictures ,and the res

one for film censorship ! Miss Mae West !!!.

Jim*Tod

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
I have the old dvd set, which features most of these titles. C'mon Universal... this should have been a blu ray set.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Obviously they didn't remaster all of these in HD, hence no blu-ray. The important thing is that these are all on single-sided discs. Plus this is every Mae West film of her Paramount/Universal days on disc. Some others are only available on expensive MOD singles.

classicmovieguy said:
Again, I welcome the option of having all these films in one collection - and on pressed discs. Hopefully Universal will release a Deanna Durbin collection too.

Definitely. Many of those have been scattered among several different sets and MODs. A singular set would be great.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I am glad her entire Paramount/Universal output will be in one place, but I HATE having to repurchase films I already have (in the same resolution). But I'll likely bite the bullet since I do want everything of hers from this period. I can then put the laserdisc box set with Night After Night (among others) in storage.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Matt Hough said:
I am glad her entire Paramount/Universal output will be in one place, but I HATE having to repurchase films I already have (in the same resolution). But I'll likely bite the bullet since I do want everything of hers from this period. I can then put the laserdisc box set with Night After Night (among others) in storage.
Hi Matt!

This does look like a very nice set (Yes, Blu-ray would have been preferred!), though having her 1943 Columbia Starring Feature THE HEAT'S ON included, could have been a nice way to bookend Mae's 1930's - early 1940's heyday! My guess is the cost of Universal acquiring the rights for a so so Film might have been too steep to justify.

I'll be keeping an eye on the cost for this one.

CHEERS! :)

Tony

P.S. For those who wish to have Mae West's THE HEAT'S ON, a Sony DVD released in 2012 is available via Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Heats-Mae-West/dp/B008I34YTO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453127203&sr=8-1&keywords=the+heat%27s+on

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Matt Hough said:

I think I've lost count on how many times I had to buy My Little Chickadee

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
JoHud said:
I think I've lost count on how many times I had to buy My Little Chickadee

Hi Matt!

That's also the one Mae West outing that seems to have a reputation of being somewhat overrated!

Oddly enough, I've never purchased any of her Films. Everything I have of Mae is from TCM airings. However, since I got a positive response from my wife when I mentioned this upcoming set, I'm likely in provided the pricing isn't too steep. As this won't be a Blu-ray release, anything under $30 should be good for me. Of course, I might also want to get THE HEAT'S ON, in order to complete Mae West's 30's/40's oeuvre. I really have no desire for the much later produced MYRA BRECKINRIDGE or SEXTETTE, though I believe the latter is based on her 1920's Broadway play SEX.

Hopefully, the MAE WEST ESSENTIAL COLLECTION will be up for pre order before long!

Tony

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Aside from being better known, the main reason is that WC Fields is in it, so it gets added to both star collections. I have 2 Mae West sets that include it and 3 WC Fields ones as well (I think). Now there's this one.

Too many Chickadees...

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
JoHud said:
Aside from being better known, the main reason is that WC Fields is in it, so it gets added to both star collections. I have 2 Mae West sets that include it and 3 WC Fields ones as well (I think). Now there's this one.

Too many Chickadees...
And yet, no MY LITTLE CHICKADEE Blu-ray, apparently! :P

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
MAE WEST: THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION is up for pre order on Amazon with a March 8, 2016 release date, and is currently priced at $29.98: http://www.amazon.com/Mae-West-Essential-Collection/dp/B019OI2HJ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1453155079&sr=1-1&keywords=mae+west+the+essential+collection

Believe it or don't, Amazon Canada currently has an even lower price tag of $23.98 Canadian (!): http://www.amazon.ca/Mae-West-The-Essential-Collection/dp/B019PQ0NGU?tag=ca-skim0x95940-20&SubscriptionId=AKIAI3FTSIOZQ7GOWL4Q&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B019PQ0NGU

:) SOLD! :)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Tony Bensley said:
MAE WEST: THE ESSENTIAL COLLECTION is up for pre order on Amazon with a March 8, 2016 release date, and is currently priced at $29.98: http://www.amazon.com/Mae-West-Essential-Collection/dp/B019OI2HJ0/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1453155079&sr=1-1&keywords=mae+west+the+essential+collection

Believe it or don't, Amazon Canada currently has an even lower price tag of $23.98 Canadian (!): http://www.amazon.ca/Mae-West-The-Essential-Collection/dp/B019PQ0NGU?tag=ca-skim0x95940-20&SubscriptionId=AKIAI3FTSIOZQ7GOWL4Q&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B019PQ0NGU

:) SOLD! :)

I'm in! While a bluray release would have been nice, I am happy to have single-sided DVDs for all of these films. Thanks for the link, Tony!

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Rob_Ray said:
I'm in! While a bluray release would have been nice, I am happy to have single-sided DVDs for all of these films. Thanks for the link, Tony!

Hi Rob!

You're welcome! That is a really good price, even for DVD.

Now, if only I could get THE HEAT'S ON Sony DVD for below $23 on Amazon Canada!

Tony

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
I've noticed that the 9 Features are on only 3 DVDs. Assuming chronological order, and that the IMDB posted running times are correct, Disc 3 will contain 243 minutes of content, which slightly exceeds the 240 minute capacity for dual layered DVDs!

I'm still in, but am a bit concerned.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
rmw650 said:
Just nice to see all of her classic films being placed in one compilation instead of having to buy separate DVDs for each film. The price of this is somewhat reasonable but hoping it goes down another ten bucks to really make it a nice deal.
I'm pretty sure it will. These Universal sets always plummet after a couple of months.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Tony Bensley said:
I've noticed that the 9 Features are on only 3 DVDs. Assuming chronological order, and that the IMDB posted running times are correct, Disc 3 will contain 243 minutes of content, which slightly exceeds the 240 minute capacity for dual layered DVDs!

I'm still in, but am a bit concerned.

In this case, I think it'll be fine. They release a WC Fields set like this a couple years ago, 10 movies on 3 discs, and they looked fine to me. That the movies are 4x3, black and white, and mono seems to make up for the length.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Josh Steinberg said:
In this case, I think it'll be fine. They release a WC Fields set like this a couple years ago, 10 movies on 3 discs, and they looked fine to me. That the movies are 4x3, black and white, and mono seems to make up for the length.
Hi Josh!

I hadn't taken those factors into consideration. Also worth noting is the 10 Feature WC Fields DVD (Also by Universal) set has a slightly longer overall running time (724 minutes) listed, than the upcoming Mae West set (698 minutes), and more importantly, no reported low bitrate visual issues in the Amazon Reviews, which further reinforces your own observations!

Should be fine!

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread