What's new

Madonna's HBO Concert 8/26/01 [SPOILERS} (1 Viewer)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Spoiler:Aside from the high tech looking effects and stages, I just have one thought; Madonna Does Sheryl Crow? I did not even finish watching the show..nothing special we have not seen before, IMHO, I must be getting old!
How bout that audio drop out at the start of the show or was it just with Dish?
------------------
Regards,
Todd

My HT

[Edited last by Todd Barattini on August 26, 2001 at 09:32 PM]

Shawn C

Screenwriter
That fake Texas accent she is doing is really annoying. What is this whole western theme she is doing? I don't mind the theme and the stage so much. But that fake accent she is doing is awful. Her pardners ain't to good at it neither.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Shawn,
I agree on the Texas thing, In fact its like shes making fun but most people don't get it. I bet a lot of money from real Texans/rednecks pay for the life she lives! I don't get her up-ity snooty, I married a rich movie maker and I like to fake like I am from British royalty thing either
frown.gif

Apparently she does not remember how she used to be?
------------------
Regards,
Todd

My HT

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I married a rich movie maker and I like to fake like I am from British royalty thing either
I don't know a whole lot about her husband but unless he comes from a very wealthy family I would be willing to bet she is far richer then he is.
So does Mr Madonna come from a wealthy family?
------------------

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I watched this tonight. The whole theatrics thing didn't make any sense to me. You all have mentioned the western theme but what about the beginning and the wirework fake fighting? What was that all about?
------------------
Michael Alletto
Mike's DVD List

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't believe the concert was under 105 minutes (if I shelled out over $100/ticket, I'd want more than that). I can only guess that HBO didn't show the encore segments (is anyone tired of the concert ritual/tactic?)
I too was just annoyed and embarrassed for people with Texas accents/drawls when Madonna started with that Daddy song. Her normal accent is more northeastern/NY-ish (but not as annoying as Rosie Perez's accent.
The whole CTHD wire-work thing was probably a decent idea 6 months ago, but now, it looks goofy and out of step (for a second I thought a Dr. Pepper commercial broke out). :)
At least Madonna's voice sounded "normal", I was expecting a weaker sounding voice (I've never thought Madonna had a good voice, even if she goes for that trilling/vibrato effect in most of her slower songs).
------------------
PatCave; HT Pix; Gear; DIY Mains; DIY CC; Sunosub I + II + III; DVDs; Link Removed

Steve Zatkoff

Stunt Coordinator
I just fail to understand why they didn't show this in a widescreen format? It would have looked alot better!
I agree, I think I am just getting tu old for Madonna's pop style.
Steve

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
So I guess it was broadcast after all....
I get HBO through DirecTV, and last night during the concert the channel was blank! All my other channels worked, but no Madonna.
Anyone else experience this problem?
-Max

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
I guess I'm the only one here who liked the show? I thought it was entertaining, inventive, fast paced with some cool song selections (lots of newer material, hardly any of the old hits). The whole asian/japanese/whatever thing was pretty cool. But then again, I haven't seen CTHD. :)
I have HBO on cable, not a single problem with the broadcast, by the way. But it was not live here, on the other hand.
/Mike

Kevin_W

Second Unit
I have digital cable and experienced two sound drops at the beginning, about a second or two each.
I have to agree that if I paid as much as some people shelled out for some seats, that concert would have left me wanting much more. And if you have to go to the trouble of the stupid encore thing, at least make it a few songs. "Music" was a given as an encore song, but maybe throw in a few more oldies for us folks that know more of her older stuff than newer. :)
Stage show I thought was nice and even the CTHD stuff, as old as it is, its still cool to see Madonna still able to pull it off.
Even though I only live 20 minutes from the Palace of Auburn Hills, I am glad my seat was in front of my home theater. :)
3 out of 5 stars I'd say.
Kevin

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I saw the show live in D.C. from the 10th row and watching it at home, you miss the excitement of being there. I thought the CTHD was a bit long ( some folks who had seen the show more than once called it the "pee" break but I really liked the "Paradise" video montage.
According to the HBO site, this concert was to be shown in HD, and it will be repeated again on the 28th and in Sept.
Hopefully when Madonna releases the tour on dvd, it'll be widescreen and with both dd and dts surround.
ET did a behind the scenes segment on the show, and Madonna has every performance recorded. So hopefully we'll get the best performance in an awesome dvd.

David_LM

Stunt Coordinator
This show was absolutely fantastic. I would give it an A- rating for entertainment value (A for the music and B+ for the stage theatrics). Madonna's singing and dancing was in top form. I guess I did not let the theatrics get in the way of her music. The concert proved she is still the top performer today (Spears, Aguilera, Carey, Streisand bore me). Her looks and energy level are stunning for her age. I did find it interesting how often she played the guitar ( trying to keep up with Sheryl Crowe?). At times, I wondered if it was even turned on. I must say that I found her country act a little contrived (trying to keep up with Shania Twain and Faith Hill?).
Me and my wife never got off the couch during her performance. I consider "Ray of Light" one of her top albums and I had heard Madonna say a while back that she was not going to play alot of her old hits on this tour, thus the play list was exactly as I expected. This concert alone made the $12 I am paying this month for HBO worth it. And this is one DVD I would recommend buying when it comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks