Madonna's American Life: Any Reviews?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Chuck L, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Chuck L

Chuck L Screenwriter

This is the one Madonna album since she started that I am holding off on buying.

The lead single does nothing for me and after the suck-fest that "Music" was, I am very weary.

Anybody here checked it out yet? What's your thoughts.

2. Al B. C

Al B. C Supporting Actor

[​IMG]

I thought that was one of her best albums in years.

Oh well.

3. AndrewD

AndrewD Stunt Coordinator

USA Today gave it 3 1/2 out of 4 stars.

"The naughty nymph who breached taboos in 1992's Sex book is back to expose herself again. Brace yourself. This philosophical striptease act is a true revelation.

Aimed more at the head than the hips, American Life, which arrives in stores today, offers an all-access pass into Madonna's psyche. It's not a lurid undressing room but an offstage confessional where the intrepid diva jettisons her jet-setting lifestyle for a spiritual plane."

http://www.usatoday.com/life/music/r...-madonna_x.htm

4. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

Picked it up today but had it last week. Warning: this review is from someone with over 200 madonna cd's alone.

Helps when you have actual sound files and they're not the crap that MTV put out.

I agree that it's better than Music which was as average as it comes for me (ASIDE from Impressive Instant which was absolutely fantastic).

The album is TOO guitar heavy...and the lyrics are horrible. Madonna is the George Lucas of music. Great music. Great ideas. Revolutionary. Can't write dialogue for shit.

It's definitely growing on me and I have to say that i hated it the first time I heard it. Would I have given it a second thought if i weren't a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE Madonna fan? I dunno.

Ray of Light was as perfect as she's ever gotten. It was the perfect blend of mainstream pop coupled with great songwriting and sounds. She needs to drop Mirwais because if she doesn't, I will.

I guess I'm going to leave this up to the individual but it'll be interesting to see how well it sells next week. They were FLYING off the shelves at the Best Buy I bought it at. The gay boys couldn't contain themselves. I guess it didn't hurt that it was only $10.

Pick it up...especially if you're near a Best Buy.

5. Michael St. Clair

6. Kevin Deacon

Kevin Deacon Second Unit

7. MichaelBryant

MichaelBryant Stunt Coordinator

8. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I heard this over the weekend and was very disappointed. The lyrics are just plain silly. After the Music disaster, this only confirms that Madonna has lost it.

American Life is just someone jacking off on the synthesizer. There is no lyrical content.

[​IMG]

9. CraigL

CraigL Screenwriter

keith,

there WAS advance warning...

in fact...there was a HUGE $hitstorm of notice when madonna pulled the video. You couldn't have really expected it to be released with the CD.

If you should be mad at anyone, be mad at the retailer you bought it from.

Aside from my comments when I first got the album, I absolutely adore it and can't take it out of my CD player.
    Tracks 3-5 are bliss.

10. Mikael Soderholm

Mikael Soderholm Supporting Actor

Mikael Söderholm