What's new

Madonna (1 Viewer)

Jacob_St

Second Unit
About six months ago I bought my first Madonna album on a whim called Erotica and except for about three songs the CD is really good. About a month ago I was in some record store and saw Like A Prayer for 5.99 so I took another chance and bought. Every track on it ranges from good to fantastic. The only problem is there is almost no baseline in the songs so the album sounds dated.
Flash to a week ago, I made the mistake of paying 16.99 for Music. What a waste of money! There are only three songs on that album that are worth listening to. The rest is cliched teeny bopper style crap. I noticed there are no lyrics printed in the CD booklet for the songs. That's is probably because the songwriting in is 100% crap on most of the tracks. The title is ironic, because the music(the instrumentation) for most of the songs is interesting but the lyrics are lame, lame lame.
Oh well, at least I can enjoy the other two albums and sell this one at the flea market. Anyone want to pay 16.99 for it?
wink.gif

John Torrez

Second Unit
You should get her Ray of Light album, I think it is really good and it has lots of bass.
------------------
"They're all gonna laugh at you!"

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
I second Ray Of Light, a very good album (especially if you like William Orbit, whose influnce is quite strong).
The Immaculate Collection is good collection of her work, if you have that and Ray of Light, you have most of what you need
wink.gif
As for Music, I understand what you mean, I had the same feelings myself, but it actually grows on you, if you let it.
If only she would release a DVD of the lastest tour (which never hit Sweden
frown.gif
)
------------------
/Mikael
No! Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
This is yet another person that agrees with you about "Music." Being a long time Madonna fan, the latest release has been in awesome letdown. On the flip side of that though, the album has given birth to some great single-remix cd's from her. In fact, some of the best remixes from her in a while.
I really, and maybe it is just me, but Madonna was more fun when most of the population hated her. Since she has found her way into more mainstream areas, the music just simply isn't near as fun.
In order of how I like the disc that she has done...
1) Like A Prayer
2) Ray of Light
3) Madonna
4) Erotica
5) Bedtime Stories
6) Evita
7) Something to Remember (Ballad collection)
8) Immaculate Collection
9) True Blue
tie) Music
10) I'm Breathless
11) Like A Virgin
12) Who's That Girl
Though I was highly upset that my parnter and I didn't get to see her on her latest tour, if it would have been Madonna in 1989, I would have been crushed. Though she is still one of my favorite artist, the thrill is somewhat gone.

Luis Esp

Supporting Actor
I saw Madonna last week in D.C. from the 10th row, center stage. Music cd was really at first one of my favourite discs, but it has grown on me and after seeing the show, it has elevated not only the cd but as Madonna as an artist.
If you saw either the Blonde Ambition show or the Girlie Show, the Drowned World tour was 1,000 times better.
Simply Amazing!

MikeH1

Screenwriter
Real Name
Billy
Yes, 1998's Ray Of Light was an album that was a long time coming. Like A Prayer was her last great effort and it was all downhill from there( although Vogue was a decent single the following year). By 1993 when she was in her slut phase and selling books about her slut phase I lost all interest in her(Go figure). I lost all RESPECT .
When I heard frozen in early 1998 I knew she had returned and wasted no time picking up the disc. It was fantastic. The Power Of Goodbye could not have broke Top 40 at a better time in Aug 1998 as me and the girlfriend of many years called it over. One of those songs that whenever you hear it, for decades to come, you will think back and know exactly where you were standing and what was said. *sigh* anyways...
Music came along and I loved the feel of the title track. The disc, on a whole, was a bit of a letdown for it feels "rushed". I don't listen to it much anymore but still listen to Ray Of Light. Actually, I will always listen to Ray Of Light :)

Jacob_St

Second Unit
The Erotica song is so wild! The best part is when when sings "I'd like to put you in a trance." Right at that point she moans and then that moan repeats all across the sound field. Not just right to left but back and forth and up and down. The song really does put you into sort of a trance. She also sounds like she's kind of singing through a mask or something during the chorus. Some of the lyrics are pretty cool too and the bass line is one of the best I've ever heard.
As for Music, there's only three songs on that album worth listening too: Don't Tell Me, Gone, and What It Feels for a Girl. I have mixed feelings about Don't Tell Me because it sounds like she's doing a bad Sheryl Crow impersonation with her voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks