What's new

Madonna: Remasters and DVD-Audio (1 Viewer)

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Perhaps Warner is waiting out the contracts on the Pineer deal. Pioneer may not be that interested in putting these out. They should sell the rights back to Warner or some other company that is interested in putting out this catalog.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Fwiw, personally I'm not convinced that Pio is still in the mix: I think this is a Warner issue. BUT having said that, I recall the copyright tag on I think both my Virgin and B.A. LDs reading "(C) Boy Toy, Inc." I've long since sold these LDs--can someone check this pls? Did the Ciao LD say this also? Maybe Madonna owns the rights to the material (as opposed to vid distrib rights) and doesn't want these released on DVD because she thinks they're passe now or whatever. Perhaps a deal she and the label found acceptable for Warner's profit participation could not be negotiated (and maybe this was impacted by the finally-just-recently-settled litigation between Madonna and Warner)?
Ugh--all this speculating and all I wanna do is "Vogue"! :D
-p

CraigL

Screenwriter
Everything she touched had Boy Toy on it during that time, I think. I'd have to check my DVD-R versions of my laserdiscs and let you know.

I agree. I think this would have nothing to do with rights at this point. It's more about her.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Am I the only one who recalls Madonna saying a few years ago that she loved DVD and wanted to put out all her stuff on the format? Did I dream that or did she just fail to follow through on her statement?

CraigL

Screenwriter
Am I the only one who recalls Madonna saying a few years ago that she loved DVD and wanted to put out all her stuff on the format? Did I dream that or did she just fail to follow through on her statement?
Methinks you're dreaming. HUGE Madonna fan here and I would've posted something about that had she mentioned it. It's never happened.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Methinks you're dreaming. HUGE Madonna fan here and I would've posted something about that had she mentioned it. It's never happened.
Maybe. Not a clue where I read it - I think it was a while, maybe around the time of the 93-99 DVD's release. Were you involved in DVD news enough back then to remember? IIRC, she never made a formal declaration - more of an off-the-cuff "DVD's great, I want to use it more" kind of thing...

Krister_

Stunt Coordinator
CraigL said:
OK...
here we go again...
This is JUST A RUMOR from the "drownedmadonna" website. Be warned that we've heard this before...but...here we go anyway.
"A Box Set with 6 DISCS DVD is planned but only re-Invention, and Blond Ambition Tours should be on the set if things won't change again! The other 4 DISCS will feature unreleased videos, interviews, as well as performances and other unreleased material. WEA is now working on the 4 DISCS which are not finished yet. The re-Invention should be released alone as well!
Hi Craig,
Have you heard anything more about this Box Set being released?? I thought that maybe if we the fans are lucky enough. Maybe it comes alive this. Either on her 25th Anniversary or on her 50th Birthday Celebration this year?? I really have high hopes for this year.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Wow, OLD thread! ;)
I saw the Madge remasters on Your Music and was thinking about picking them up. I probably should just go ahead and do it as it sounds like these DVD-A's will never get released.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Wow. So much has happened, but so little has changed. Private equity owns WMG now.

Ironically, just in recent weeks I've sold a couple dozen CDs to Amoeba and Wherehouse.com with an eye towards buying reissues/remasters including, after much procrastination, Madonna, Like A Virgin and True Blue.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Paul,

Please let us know how these remasters sound...I've been meaning to pick them up, but just haven't seen much about them. I'm specifically interested in hearing how they sound compared to the "Immaculate Collection" versions.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Ron:

Will do. Bear in mind the additional wild card when it comes to Immaculate is that different versions of some seminal Madonna songs were used for that collection.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Paul.S said:
is that different versions of some seminal Madonna songs were used for that collection.
Understood and they were also mastered (not sure if it's mastered or processed?) in "Q Sound" so an A/B comparison might be difficult. Anyway, my copy of the remastered "True Blue" came in today. Will check it out tonight.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
While just downstairs to grab my headphones for a game of Madden, I noticed my recently received remastered copy of "True Blue" sitting there opened but unplayed. I figured what the hell and slapped it in for a quick sampling before head back to start my game. I recall "La Isla Bonita" having some good Latin-tinged sounds, so that track was first. WOW, was I BLOWN AWAY!!! After being treated to some crystal clear percussion from that track, I proceeded to check out one of my favorite Madonna tunes, "Live To Tell." This track threw such a huge soundstage, my jaw was on the floor! I skipped from track to familiar track, waiting for one that sounded only so-so. Not happening here. I was astonished at how uniformly excellent this CD sounded...what a fantastic remastering job. This is easily the best I've ever heard these songs and it's easy to hear. Everything sounded so full, not just louder, but fuller. I'm not sure if the other 2 Madonna remasters sound as good as this one (I've checked out a few tracks from the Dire Straits Warner remasters and they're just a bit better than the previous versions), but after being so impressed here and with Yourmusic.com offering them up at a mere $7 a piece, it's a no-brainer. Well done. :D

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx for comments, Ron. Curious about any a/b comparative comments you might have after going back and listening to the original CD.

On another note, I read that Madonna's latest album is her last for WMG. Is this true? If so, if anyone sees word of any sort of retrospective uber box set of her Warner albums, please post word here.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Paul.S said:
box set of her Warner albums, please post word here.
I don't have the originals unfortunately...only the Immaculate Collection.
Yep, she jumped ship and *I think* is on the Starbuck's label.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Ron Reda said:
I don't have the originals unfortunately...only the Immaculate Collection.
Yep, she jumped ship and *I think* is on the Starbuck's label.
She's not actually going to be working with a "label" per se. She signed a multi-media deal with concert promoters Live Nation who are creating a new music division for which she will be the flagship artist.
Clipped from Wikipedia: ...a new $120 million, 10 year contract with pop concert promoters Live Nation. She will be the founding recording artist for the new music division, Artist Nation, and the deal will consist of albums, tours, merchandise and promotion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks