What's new

Madonna finally coming to DVD-A! (1 Viewer)

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Warner Brothers has announced (without a date) that it is planning to release Madonna's "Music" and a untitled "greatest hits" collection (though I believe it is likely to be "The Immaculate Collection," it could very well be a new package conceived strictly for the DVD-A format) on the DVD-A format later this year. I knew this was inevitable, but really would've preferred "Ray of Light" instead. Also, it is rumored that her 1983 debut album is being remastered for DVD-A for its 20th anniversary next year - redbook CD remasters of her first three studio albums have already been released. Warner is also planning on releasing Paul Simon's "Graceland" and a few dozen other major albums later in the year from R.E.M and The Talking Heads. All I can say is that it is about time. Now, if Warner can only get some of Prince's early works out on the format, then we might really start to see things take off, as software has been sorely lacking on this hi-rez format.

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, where did you read this? Do you have an Internet link? While I am not doubting that you read this, I won't believe it until the discs are in my hand. I admit that I have become somewhat jaded due to false announcements regarding DVD-Audio and SACD releases over the past couple of years.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
I am really hoping that with the upcoming tour that Warner might get around to releasing Cher's "Believe" and "Living Proof" in this format.

Look forward to the Madonna releases and I agree that "Ray of Light" would have been more of a favored choice for myself over "Music."

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Keith-
It was here:
http://www.audiorevolution.com/home/backcover/index.html
Check the 5/9/02 heading to see this information on the number of DVD-A titles currently available (215), and those on the way from Warner and other labels. I remember reading at another DVD-A site that "Remain in Light" from the Talking Heads was coming to DVD-A from Warner. I will link you when I find it. I do not find these plans implausible, as we all know that Warner is dedicated to DVD-A, and Madonna, Paul Simon, Neil young, Talking Heads, and R.E.M, were all Warner/Sire artists.
Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Reggie, thanks for posting the link. I couldn't get it to work by clicking on it, but it did work when I pasted it into another window. Wait a minute. What did you do here? I just checked the window where I pasted in your link, and I got an add for the Linn Classik DVD player. When I clicked on the ad, I was taken to www.classik.com . :confused:
I agree that the release of these Warner artists' works on DVD-Audio is plausible. However, that doesn't mean it will happen. As I said, when I have the discs in hand, I will believe. Sorry.

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Reggie and Keith,
The website that Reggie posted lifted that list from the QuadraphonicQuad forum where I'm the DVD-A moderator. The list is entirely my work, but the jerk over there didn't bother to give credit. He just copied it and posted it to his site. The link below will take you to the forum where it's posted. You might want to bookmark the page as I update regularly. As for the Madonna releases, that info came from Warner, but it's been months ago now. Keith is right in saying, don't believe it till you see. If and when Warner puts dates on those, then maybe you can get excited.
Link Removed

ReggieW

Screenwriter
Thanks Mike for the link and info! Shame on audiorevolution for not crediting you for your efforts.

Keith,

Seeing that Warner made this announcement months ago, we'll have to wait and see. In the meantime, I agree with your rule of "I'll believe it when I have it in my hand." it is now time for Warner to start giving some street dates/msrp's on these titles. I just checked Mike's link above, and it appears that EMI is releasing Bonnie Raitt's "Nick of Time" and Richard Thompson's "Rumor and Sigh"...... and they actually have DATES! (June 18th)

Reg

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Micahel,
Thanks for the info. I have bookmarked your site. At this point, I have no expectation of seeing Madonna on DVD-Audio since Warner has been so quiet lately.
Reggie,
I appreciate the info. on the forthcoming releases. Unfortunately, like many recent DVD-Audio releases, the Bonnie Raitt and Richard Thompson titles don't interest me. :frowning:

Micahel C

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Mike for the link and info! Shame on audiorevolution for not crediting you for your efforts
Reggie,

If you check their site, you'll see that the problem has been rectified with proper credit given.

Keith,

I agree about the Warner releases. They've bee pulling everyone's chain for a couple of months now. At the first of the year, I received a response from an email I sent them about their lack of support to the format. Their response was that they were going to be doing a re-dedication to the format with a big roll-out of new titles (this is where some of the titles I have listed including the Madonna's came from) and advertising. This was supposed to happen around the first week in Apr. This has also been reported at a couple of audio news web sites. Well here it is the middle of May and guess what, not a word from them. For now, it's apparent that the 5.1 Entertainment group is pretty much carrying the format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks