1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Madonna adoption thoughts

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Chris, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

OK, so I get it that now there is all sorts of confusion. And it looks as though the little Malawi child will be returned to his destitute family who put him in an orphanage apparently not expecting him to be adopted(?). His mother who died of Malaria, his father who is poor and cannot afford housing, and a grandmother who is starving.

Someday, I wonder if, when this kid is 16 - if he's alive - he'll look back and say "damn, I could have lived with a multimillionaire in a freaking palace existance instead, I'm suffering disease.."

Or maybe his thought will be:

"I could be f*(& hollywood starlets; instead, I'm praying I don't get HIV from one of the local creeps or die of malaria"

Just thoughts that cross my mind.

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Lead Actor

I quote Artie Lange - "Damn that kid was 5 minutes away from getting a bl*wjob from Nikki Hilton at Bungalow 8!"

Seriously, as much as I loathe Madonna, anything would be better than growing up in poverty and disease. No matter how much she did this for publicity, I'm sure the kid would at the very least be raised in an environment free of malarial mosquitoes. Plus, it would be cool to someday see the inheritance battle between him and Lourd-ass. [​IMG]

3. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

I sometimes stab people because I didn't expect the blood I donated to get used either.

4. andrew markworthy

If Madonna continues to live in the UK, I think that I can safely say that we're pretty free of malarial mosquitos (though the midges in Scotland can be a real bugger during the summer). [​IMG]

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Madonna or not, I still cannot figure out why this is headline news (not a dig at the existence of this thread, but the fact that it's been in the headline section of every news website for the past week or more).

Apparently all's right with the world and everyone's living in contented peace. [​IMG]

6. Phil_L

Phil_L Second Unit

Shame on her for trying to take a child away from extreme poverty. Someone should lock her up. She clearly didn't do this for the publicity, since most of the work for this adoption was done behind the scenes for months. And she was in Malawi for quite a while before any pictures of her even showed up in the press. Why can't she just be a person who wants to adopt a baby??? And anyone who adopts for publicity is amoral. I certainly don't think that is the case here.

7. WillG

WillG Lead Actor

With all due respect, that doesn't prove anything. Just because it was kept on the D.L. for awhile, it was quite obvious that it would eventually generate publicity. I'm not saying it was all for publicity, but if there there was one thing Madonna does better than most anybody (including music) it is stunts. The way I was reading into this, it seemed like Madonna was buying a kid (kind of like the Paris Hilton epsiode of "South Park" where she tried to buy Butters) Also, the timing wasn't too far removed from Angelina's adoption wave of publicity. But one thing is for sure, poor kid....was so close.

8. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

David Williams
    Not that I really care one way or the other, but I wanted to pipe in with the fact that Madonna funds at least 4 Malawi orphanages so I think there must be more to this than baby = publicity stunt. Maybe Angelina opened Madonna's eyes?

9. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    Now there's a video I'd like to see.