What's new

Made my first set of cables. (1 Viewer)

Steve Russell

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I made my first set of cables using the canare tools/wire/connectors. It wasn't too difficult. I made a composite video cable from the LV-77S, and L,R audio cables from the LC5. These cables were for my cable box-which doesn't have s-video out. They turned out to be a mixed blessing. The video cable does seem to have more resolution than the monster video cable it replaced, although the increased resolution seems to reveal more of the inherent flaws in my digital cable. I can see more of the macro-blocking in some of the scene transitions. Picture looks sharper, maybe that is why I see more of the problems with the source material. I haven't noticed a lot of difference with the audio cables, but it is nice to have cables that are the "correct length" without a lot of extra wire dangling behind the reciever.

Congrats Steve! May I ask for a link to the site where you found the DIY info? I am looking at the possibility of making my own cables and will take any suggestions for some good DIY sites. I want to make some pretty high cables, so I would be looking for better quality wire/plugs (and good instruction is a musy!).

Thanks,

John

Thanks for the link Bob. However, I am interested in making speaker cables. Am I missing something on Chris' page, or are his DIY instructions for audio/video cables only?

Thanks,

John

Gregg Hart

Stunt Coordinator
John,

I am going to be building my own speaker cables using Canare's Star Quad speaker wire 4S11. I am using Vampire Wire spade connectors at $2/each. I have heard some happy people using this combination. After adding some nice Techflex and shrink tubbing, they will be some nice looking cables. Check out cobaltcables.com for someone that builds these exact cables.

Gregg

Arthur Vino

Stunt Coordinator
I sure cobalt uses 4s11?
Someone opened them up and saw single 10 Ga in there..
both are quality cables.. can't go wrong with either...
4s11 is 11 Ga effective (4x14 Ga)..
www.audioholics.com gave cobaltcable an awesome review and they offer lifetime warranty.
I am actually gonna use cobalt for fronts and ordering 4s11 for rears and surrounds soon from heartland...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks