What's new

made in? (1 Viewer)

KwongC

Agent
Recently I've been really weary of where a component is made. For instance back in the day, Sony used to have everything made in Japan or U.S. and I remember owning some really solid and good sounding Sony components (from CD players to shelf systems to speakers). These days many manufacturers are having their products made in China, Mexico, Korea, etc. I am wondering if this really makes a difference or if any of you would or wouldn't buy a product because of where it is made.

I recently bought some HT stuff and was really picky about where it was made. For instance, I bought the Denon 2802 because the 2802 was the least expensive of all Japan made Denon receivers..the next receiver below the 2802 is made in Korea or something like that. I also bought a Panasonic DVD player because Panasonics are made in Japan (well most of them anyway). I see that hardly any Sony units are made in Japan anymore (well except for the super high end stuff like their SACD players).

When it came to speakers however, I was in a fix because going with American made units would put me into really high end brands. Even some of the cheaper Bose units are made in Mexico, I think. I finally had to bite the bullet because of price and went with an Infinity Entra Point Five system. All the units are made in China or Mexico. To my surprise, it sounds really good and the sub is indeed very clean and powerful. So I was wondering if any of you guys out there buy stuff based on where its made? Or does it not even matter these days or what?

jacob w k

Stunt Coordinator
I have never even looked. It doesn't really matter to me at all although I guess it probably should. I should be supporting Canadian companies if I can.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I prefurr stuff that is made in Japan, but its getting to the point these days that it dosent matter where its put togeather cause half of the parts used in it are still made somewhere else.
Take Polk for example on their box it says

Polk audio assembly facility located in Baja Ca, Mexico, useing componets made in the USA, Japan, Germany, Mexico, & Taiwan, & may also contain parts or componets from one or more of the following other countries: United Kingdom, Thailand, Hong Kong, Korea.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks