What's new

Made a rationalization, it’s not worth it to upgrade my receiver… (1 Viewer)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Matt, While often, we talk heavily of equipment in these forums. Quite frequently, posts get started so one can "show off" their gear. These posts are always usually positive - I've started plenty of 'em. :)

However, what does not get covered enough is room treatments. Clearly, the room itself could have a major factor on the quality of sound that your system can produce. As suggested, lifting the speakers off the floor could make quite a difference in the sound.

Since you're young, don't get yourself too "holed up" into spending time updating and upgrading your system. Sure, upgrading can be fun, but do live a little, too. :)

Even if you pass on the receiver upgrade this time around, there will be plenty of new receivers out in the next 8 - 12 months, should you reconsider. Or, you might even be able to find one of us selling our receiver - one that may have been on your short list while you were looking, for a nice price ... probably well under 1/2 the cost we originally paid for it. :)

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Matt, Matt - I'm sorry, but we're all going to have to ask you to reconsider. You're showing a level of discipline and maturity (though we dare not call it wisdom) far, far beyond your years - and you're making a lot of us look bad in the process. Please, we beg of you - break down and do something impetuous and stupid (megabuck digital interconnects would probably qualify) so we can all happily go back to our own upgrade wants...

Seriously - great call, IMO, and well-considered priorities too. The Advents should certainly hold you for a while and you'll likely have plenty of tasty choices in new gear in a couple of years. And enjoy school life while you can - it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience for most and something you'll always carry with you.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Tim,

We still might get Matt to upgrade yet. ;)

Today, I was in a pawn shop and saw a pair of Advent speakers like Matt has. Maybe, he'll be able to purchase them to replace his surround speakers. Then, he just needs to purchase a single Advent to be used for the center channel. :)

TimMc

Stunt Coordinator
Heck, if Matt could find three Advents to finish off a system w/ 5 identical speakers, he'd probably be ahead of 99% of the rest of us and maybe even qualify for a gold star from Dolby Labs. Or, maybe they would even give him a certificate good for three credits @ college???

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank
If the price was right I would not mind having an Advent center and surrounds. It would be a nice mix on modern and vintage. But I suppose it may be a waste to try and mind perfect conditions Advents when I plan on replacing them in a few years anyway.

Alan Wise

Stunt Coordinator
Matt,
I think the best, most cost effective, bang for the buck, upgrade to make your system sound better this weekend would be a cold twelve pack of Sam Adams. You'd be amazed how the sound gets enhanced after three or so bottles.
Or, better yet, being in Wakefield, you can probably get a couple of Growlers of MT. Watchuesset Amber. Yeah, now there is an upgrade!

Happy 4th to all, Al. Wise

Matt_Smi

Second Unit
Real Name
blank

This has truly proven to me a humorous thread! But you are right, I am always more amazed by the sound of my setup when I have had a few drinks.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
This thread made me chuckle. A lot! :emoji_thumbsup:
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks