What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Nominated for seven Oscars, Mervyn LeRoy’s Madame Curie offers an involving biography of the Nobel Prize-winning scientists Pierre and Marie Curie with the expected MGM gloss to make the science more palatable to everyday audiences.

Madame Curie (1943)

Released: 01 Feb 1944
Rated: Passed
Runtime: 124 min

Director: Mervyn LeRoy, Albert Lewin
Genre: Biography, Drama, Romance

Cast: Greer Garson, Walter Pidgeon, Henry Travers, Albert Bassermann
Writer(s): Paul Osborn (screen play), Hans Rameau (screen play), Ève Curie (book)

Plot: Despite himself, accomplished physicist and avowed bachelor Pierre Curie falls for brilliant student Marie, and together they embark on the discovery of radium.

IMDB rating: 7.2
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information...

Continue reading...

ArtAD

Auditioning
Real Name
Art
The Studio is MGM, Warner is just the current copyright owner / home video distributer. I know this is mentioned in the body of the review, but if the studio "box" refers to the producing company it is incorrect.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The Studio is MGM, Warner is just the current copyright owner / home video distributer. I know this is mentioned in the body of the review, but if the studio "box" refers to the producing company it is incorrect.
It's a very difficult decision when I have to make this choice with MGM titles which are now owned by Warners. Choosing MGM implies to some the MGM of today which, of course, is wrong and not the studio which produced the film, so it's kind of a lose-lose situation.

Besides, I'm not sure whether that "Studio" selection means the studio that produced it or the studio who now owns it. As I said, all very confusing, but in the final analysis, it's not that important.

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
This movie currently on sale for $9 from Amazon. If you click on "continue reading" in the review in the first post the link will appear. Haven't seen it in many years, but I liked it back then and I decided to pick it up. As Matt H. writes in his perceptive review:

"After scoring a triumph in 1942’s Mrs. Miniver (which brought her an Oscar and him a nomination), MGM’s first lady and gentleman of the screen Greer Garson and Walter Pidgeon next brought the story of the discovery of radium to the screen in Mervyn LeRoy’s Madame Curie. Picturing scientific notation and experiments in the movies can be a tricky business, and in the wrong hands, it could have been handled drily and without wit, but Madame Curie balances its science with more human touches that keep audience interest high and feelings engaged. It doesn’t have the emotional wallop of Mrs. Miniver or Garson and LeRoy’s Random Harvest, but it’s nevertheless an appealing film."

I would like to see Random Harvest on blu-ray. I guess it's not surprising, but I read somewhere that the "science" in Madame Curie is not particularly accurate.

Original trailer....

And here's the trailer of the recent movie from Amazon also on Madam Curie. I thought the new movie was good, but I think I prefer the original.

Madame-curie-1943.jpeg

Last edited:

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Watched Madame Curie yesterday with my spouse, and we liked just as much as our first viewing many years ago. It's a wonderful movie showing the value of science through the life of one of its heroes. The challenges involved in discovering radium as shown in this film puts many of our work challenges of today into perspective. Mervin LeRoy as always does very solid work. I like him as a director a lot.

I've never seen the first pairing of Greer Garson and Walter Pigeon, Blossoms in the Dust, but I hope to someday.

blossoms.jpg

P.S. Some photographs of the real Madame Curie from this article....The last one is of her driving an x-ray vehicle to the front during World War I. This part of her life is covered in the recent Amazon movie.

Pierre_and_Marie_Curie.jpeg
Marie_Skłodowska-Curie's_Nobel_Prize_in_Chemistry_1911.jpeg
Marie_Curie_-_Mobile_X-Ray-Unit.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: PMF

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks