What's new

Madagascar wont' load... any ideas? (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I have about 700 DVDs and all have been played and tested on my 2nd generation Toshiba player. With only an exception of a couple films that ended up being defects, I have not encountered this problem before.

Madagascar (Widescreen) will not load on my Toshiba. It just sits saying LOADING and nothing happenens no matter how many times I try BUT... it will load and play fine on my Apex unit.

Is there something strange on this new release that maybe an older player may not recognize?

Eric

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I can tell you that Madagascar uses a newer form of copy protection, Arcoss or Ripguard.
From what I understand, it basically includes errors within the digital files (Vobs) that most stand alone players ignore.

The copy I bought works on the 3 or 4 DVD players I have tried so it may be that player.

Jeff Swearingen

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff
ran across a similar loading problem with Madagascar on a very low end machine that a relative had this weekend. The disc worked fine in another player, so it must be a player compatibility issue with this disc.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I know DVD prices have come down but isn't this safeguarding thing getting a bit out of hand? I mean what if you have older people or someone on a fixed income who can't just run out and buy a new DVD player but wants to watch the movie on their own terms? Will the studio replace the disc with one that does play? Will they replace the person's player so they can play the disc? I doubt it but you get the drift.

TommyJD

Stunt Coordinator
I had a similar problem with my older high end Toshiba player recently.It just would'nt load some of my discs-just kept saying loading then it would say disc error.Was going to give up on it and get a new machine but decided to try and clean it (thinking that may be an issue).Was very simple-used a can of air and a q-tip and player works fine again.If you don't want to try it yourself seek some help.Just beware-cleaning a DVD player is super simple and don't end up paying too much.

Bob Graham

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bob Graham
Tommy, can you tell us a bit more about the cleaning. Do you just spray the compressed air all over the inside of the player? And what do you use the q-tips on?

Mikya

Grip
I had the same problem with Polar Express. My player is a Denon 2910. It is only 9 months old so I doubt dirt is a factor. Polar Express played fine on two low-end players but wouldn't load on the Denon. I think the new copy protection is a likely culprit. If so, it's a terribly odd business strategy that punishes only the most ardent consumers of one's product . . .

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I had a major sound issue on my first Toshiba DVD player. The software needed upgrading, so I bought a new Toshiba player. When I got Disney's Dinosaur, it would take forver to load and some areas would lock up.

I heard a lot of other people complaining about their Toshiba players, so I gave up and bought a different brand. I don't know what it is about Toshiba, but they seem to have problems when DVD encoders try something new.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I can tell everyone that I tried someone elses copy of "Madagascar" that didn't have the second christmas feature on the disc and it did the same exact thing as mine did. On the Toshiba all it would do is sit saying it's loading and goes nowhere while it plays fine on my low end Apex unit. So it has to be an encoding issue for this title and like I said, what is a person to do. Throw out a DVD player that works perfectly fine on other DVD's I've paid over $300 for just because one title won't play or complain to the studio for their being shortsighted?

Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks