What's new

"Mad Men" Thread (1 Viewer)

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
My Comcast ON Demand doesn't have it in HD today-any of the episodes. Anybody know what's up?
Update-checked an hour later and all the HD episodes were there. The latest was the first I watched that didn't have any dropouts on the soundtrack.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
My Comcast had all the HD versions in AMC HD OnDemand up to last week. A few days later they had gone missing. Then yesterday they were back but only up through episode 4 (episode 5 was missing). Since Ep6 aired Thursday I'm hoping the HD version will show up before too long.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
I've got 101 through 106 in HD On Demand right now, with 101 expiring 8/30.

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
not to go off-topic, but how come AMC has "Mad Men" On Demand under "Entertainment," yet A&E doesn't have "The Two Coreys" on their On Demand channel?

Back on-topic: I usually wait to catch "Mad Men" On Demand in order to avoid watching commercials. Neat trick.

Brian^K

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian
We've watched all six episodes so far in HD -- it is definitely HD and actually very good HD at that. The HD program is only available On Demand here in Burlington.

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Move over, J.R. Ewing - here comes Peter Campbell

show update:

Peter Campbell is calculating, manipulative, a womanizer, and always looking to see a way to advance himself, no matter the cost for other people.

He works in an Ad agency, set in 1960. His father denys him everything in favor of his brother, and his mother is too weak to stand up for him. He's out to prove to everybody that he is capable of more than what he's doing at the moment. Speaking of "at this moment," he has currently stolen a package meant for his boss, who was recently named a Partner to the ad agency. The package is from his boss's estranged brother, who happens to have the real last name of Campbell's boss. Campbell's boss, Donald Draper, fired Campbell unsuccessfully for trying to upstage him in front of a client. Draper failed because the owner of the agency feels that Campbell's family would cause them trouble (they're wealthy and well-to-do with strong political connections). So Campbell is spared, but resentful of Draper.

The package Campbell has stolen was, as I said, sent from Draper's brother, who had committed suicide after sending it off in the mail. The package probably contains personal information about Draper's former identity, which Draper changed shortly after World War II - either to avoid more military service, or to escape from his jewish roots. With this information now in Campbell's hands, he will likely blackmail Donald Draper.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
This show is subversively funny. Taking a look back at 1960 through our perspective, 47 years later, it's just hilarious. I was cracking up about the weight-loss "stimulating" panties, and Don's wife figuring out about the washing machine and her libido.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The weight loss "panties" device actually existed in the late 50s. It was called the Relaxicizor and was sold door to door like vacuum cleaners used to be. The device in the show is an actual Relaxicizor unit. It came with the "panties" along with other attachments for delivering mild electric shocks to cause contractions of other muscle groups.

I remember a saleslady coming to our home one afternoon to give my mom a demo of the device, and actually experienced the weird involuntary muscle spasm induced by it. My mom wanted one but my dad nixed the purchase--they were quite expensive.

Check it out:

http://www.frontiernet.net/~debartss...hollywood.html

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For those who missed this show, and if you like dramas swimming with subtext viewed through a historical perspective of 1960, then Mad Men is the show for you. They wrapped up the first season, and it was very moving and touching, and melancholy. Season 2 is a go for next summer.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
yesh, i really luv jon hamm's acting, i luv his quiet cool, but a huge war is waged internally, i just absolutely luved how he pulls that off. his external projection of a calm, confident sales person, but then he falls apart like a little child whenever his past catches up with him because he KNOWS that he is a COWARD! a coward who is pretending to be a person he is not, both in name, identity and the projection he is trying to "play".

on the other end of the spectrum, we have a peter who portrays insecurity and all of what don drapper has internally, peter puts that whole show out there for the world to see that he is a sniveling little cat, but internally, he is super confident. he is the antithesis of all that don drapper is. they're both polar opposites... yet they both see that and see how similar they both are and that scares them BOTH =P. peter sees his demons in don's inner child, don sees his inner demons externalized in the childish behaviors of peter c.

that's just SOME of the themes correlated and portrayed throughout the series. similar comparisons can be made of don's old boss that had a heart attack vs. the CEO (the heart of the company vs. the soul of the company). the same can be made of the head secretary vs. don's secretary, as well as many of the minor characters in the cast.

it is incredible in scope! that's just the themes and characters.

the costumes, the babes, the environment, the hush-nature of repression, the oncoming 60's. many of those themes apply a great deal to today's society as commentary.

i just luv the beautiful cinematography. it truly feels like a film, just as the sopranos did technical-wise than any TV TV. but then, it's been that way since X-Files =P.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I'm watching the reruns of Season 1, very enjoyable program.
I do remember this era. Hell, I remember the late 1940s.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
are we going to use this thread for season 2 as well? i mean not much happened anyway ;).

when will it be again (i know it, but i wanted to kick reboot this thread ;)?

Sylvia*ST

Stunt Coordinator
If you like this show, try reading Richard Yates' "Revolutionary Road." a 1960 novel (still in print) which the creator of this series says was a major influence on "Mad Man." It's quite a unique book.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Having just finished the review of Season Two on Blu-ray, this thread is a fascinating read.

Originally Posted by buttmunker

I find it a bit disconcerting that virtually every character, even in a bit part like the doctor examining Peggy, has to have a cigarette dangling from their mouths. I know they're establishing that smoking was prevalent in the work-space, but gee-whiz, its like they're shoving it down our throats.
You would have found it really disconcerting to live back then, because that's how much people smoked. In the workplace, at home, you name it. I remember when every other ad on TV was for cigarettes. Edward R. Murrow, one of the most popular journalists on TV, did his broadcasts with a butt visibly smoldering in his hand. The damn things were everywhere.

Season 3 starts Aug. 16.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks