What's new

Mad Men: Season Five (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Was glad to see they resolved the issue of Betty's illness quickly, instead of letting it linger throughout the season. That would make the show a bit maudlin, which is not its style.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Interesting episode. How much of that dream sequence was a dream? Was she ever actually there, was she there the first time, or was it just one massive fever-hallucination? Probably just the latter, but I really had an "American Psycho"-type vibe for a bit, there. What this shows is that Don has that seed of temptation still inside him.
That said, it makes me wonder how awesome Megan and Don really are. (It also makes me wonder if SHE dragged the body out?!)
Either way, it's interesting to see Don struggle so hard with being monogamous, but it's refreshing that he's actually struggling.
Love that Joan sent that creep packing, and called him out on being a terrible person. I think the motivation for Dr. Rape is clear -- he didn't have what it took to be a first-rate surgeon in private practice, but in 'Nam, it sounds like he's chief of surgery at wherever he is...for him, that's the validation he needs.
It makes sense to me; obviously, he isn't exactly Mr. Sensitive-and-Secure anyway, so he will always need that outside validation for himself.
Also, somebody cue the, "ZOMG-Sally-is-getting-hooked-on-downers!" chorus.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The look on Sally's face (I think it was when Henry's mom was telling her about how her dad tripped her out of the blue and sent her flying) was priceless. It might have been something else, but the realization of a dangerous world was great. Or the comment about how a guy couldn't rape 9 women (hello refractory period).

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
I love the fact that, so far this season, Roger has paid out about $1,500 to his employees for various favors. I wonder if this is going to be a running gag.
The exchange between Peggy and Roger last night was just killer.
And holy shit, was that Madchen Amick? Goddamn -- girl looks even hotter at 40 than she did at 20. Great genes.
Also, did it look like they're going to have Betty complete her "magic-pill diet" by about next week? They need to sell her pills on TV!

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I changed my facebook profile photo to a drawing I did of Peggy in honor of Peggy shaking down Roger.
I suspect Madchen Amick has a painting of Dorian Gray in her attic.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
How much of that dream sequence was a dream? Was she ever actually there, was she there the first time, or was it just one massive fever-hallucination?
I'd say that she was never in the apartment. It'd be funny if Matt Weiner is planning on trying to outdue David Chase in terms of pissing people off and they never mention it again until the series finale where Don and Megan get arrested for her murder.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
That would be hilarious. :)
I am of the opinion that Andrea(?) was there on the elevator but that her appearance in Don's apartment was a fever-induced dream.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Agreed on Joan's very strong scenes, particularly at the end. Couldn't help but think of the lines from Gollum though when she was dismissing her husband: "Go away and never come back!"

Be interesting to see if Don's dream marks a turning point in his behavior.

Been a great start to the season.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
"You grimy little pimp."
That was an instant classic of an episode.
I feel like saying "nobody sets the table like Mad Men," because this episode seemed to be putting in place things that are going to pay off down the road, but managed to do so in a way that was tremendously entertaining.
Joan's little interaction with Lane was absolutely Joan at her finest -- doesn't say anything, just opens the door and sits back down, and follows his apology up with, "Why? Everyone in the office has wanted to beat up Pete." Leaving unsaid that everyone in the office has wanted to do that other thing, too.
("This is medieval!")

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
This was one of the best episodes of the series, in my opinion. Everything was terrific, especially John Slattery's direction. Some of those dissolves were amazing.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Spot on -- the scenes at the driving-classes were standouts, and I love how he directed that first scene of Pete "fixing" the pipe.
Although the dynamics are different, this felt like vintage Season One, in terms of the focus and the fun of the whole episode. And maybe the best episode since "The Suitcase." So many good bits. Pete is Charlie Brown, if he grew up as a rich douchebag. I always find it fascinating when Don is forced to act as a kind of reluctant mentor to him.
By episode's end, Pete's disembowelment was complete, from Tebow fingerbanging his fantasy girl, to Don unmanning him in the kitchen, to getting the living shit knocked out of him at the hands of a Brit fop.
Pete always wanted to be Don's peer; now it's clear that he never can, or will, be. He will never even measure up to Roger, who holds no illusions about who and what he is. The question is, is Pete humbled by these happenings, and is the better for it? Or will he simply become more of a prick by way of compensation?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Josh Dial said:
This was one of the best episodes of the series, in my opinion.
joshEH said:
And maybe the best episode since "The Suitcase."
I agree with both.
Pete doesn't deserve my pity but I feel bad for him. Two or three seasons ago, I would have loved to see him get beat up and feel guilty for cheating on his wife but now, he's just pathetic and pitiable. Everyone is always good on the show but Vincent Kartheiser really had his moment to shine in this episode.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Josh, you may have the foulest mouth on the HTF, but that "Charlie Brown as a rich douchebag" line was genius!

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Pete IS a grimy little pimp and this episode just showed it in the brightest light.
Him crying like the lost little boy he is to his 'dad' in the elevator was priceless. "I thought we were supposed to be friends!" "I have nothing!" What a baby.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Josh Dial said:
This was one of the best episodes of the series, in my opinion.  Everything was terrific, especially John Slattery's direction.  Some of those dissolves were amazing.
I was watching it with my daughter who is studying to be a producer in college. I felt compelled to make sure she noticed them.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Aaron Silverman said:
Josh, you may have the foulest mouth on the HTF, but that "Charlie Brown as a rich douchebag" line was genius!
Heh, thanks. :D
Jared Harris was just remarkable this week. Pete was getting punished for a lot more than just for what he said to Lane.
And while I'm pretty sure the writers aren't as heavy-handed as this, this is the second time this season we've had pretty extensive mention of someone snapping and killing a lot of people (Richard Speck last week, Charles Whitman this week).
Yes, those events happened during the time the show is depicting, but I wonder if they're trying to tell us something by featuring them so prominently. Not to mention the previous scene of Pete standing in his office doorway, sighting down the barrel at various office-members.
Add in the gun-talk with Pete, and maybe we're headed for some really dark shit.
TravisR said:
I'd say that she was never in the apartment. It'd be funny if Matt Weiner is planning on trying to outdue David Chase in terms of pissing people off and they never mention it again until the series finale where Don and Megan get arrested for her murder.
I know it would totally ruin the show, but it would still be pretty amazing if Weiner just decided Don was going to start killing fucking everyone, like Patrick Bateman or something.
"HEY, PETE!!"
d4d92f97_330x225px-LL-0ecca38e_HeyPete.jpeg

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I half expected Pete to head to a gym to sign up for boxing lessons so he could take on Pryce again after he learned some technique. I can't see someone like Pete taking so inglorious a defeat so cavalierly.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by MattH. /t/317541/mad-men-season-five/60#post_3917311
I half expected Pete to head to a gym to sign up for boxing lessons so he could take on Pryce again after he learned some technique. I can't see someone like Pete taking so inglorious a defeat so cavalierly.
I had some half expectations in that area as well, especially as he watched the younger much more physically fit (but also better looking and smoother) young guy get the (high school?) girl he had the hots for.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
This was a terrific episode, highlighting by great writing. The minor subplot of Ken's books really fills in his character a lot, and it's a nice touch. Interesting that we have seen in the last few weeks that Pete has the life Don used to - even riding a train that looks just like the one Don used to ride. But Don self-destructed that whole world, and Pete's going down the same path.

Not sure this one rose to the heights of The Suitcase (the show's best hour, I think) but it was one of the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks