What's new

Mad Men - Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Oh man! That's a while away Travis! I see the 5th season premieres March 2012. They are slated to start filming August this year with Jon Hamm directing the premiere. I wonder why the premiere is so far off and I guess it's due to the limited time slots on AMC.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Nelson Au said:
Oh man! That's a while away Travis! I see the 5th season premieres March 2012. They are slated to start filming August this year with Jon Hamm directing the premiere. I wonder why the premiere is so far off and I guess it's due to the limited time slots on AMC.
Yep. I understand that AMC doesn't want to have 3 months of no new programming but it still seems stupid that they can't play, say, The Walking Dead and Mad Men back to back on Sunday nights in the fall rather than having to wait nearly a year to air Mad Men because of the way their schedule is set up.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Finally got through season 4. Honestly, for the most part I found this run to be soapy and overly melodramatic. I find the ad work interesting, but there was very little of it in this season. Even in scenes where the characters were ostensibly working, the scenes were more focused on personal travails and weird relationships. I did enjoy the finale, though -- Don telling his kids that he's "Dick" was one of the great moments (as was "they're bigger" ;) ). Other random comments: As soon as Glen walked in the door, I turned to my wife and said "Carla's getting fired!" That she would send him upstairs alone instead of calling Sally down didn't ring true to me. She'd been working there long enough to know what Betty's capable of. Why would she take that risk? And, as for Betty, we thought she was a jerk in season 3, but wow! She really turned it up a notch this year. Refusing to provide a reference for Carla seemed a bit over-the-top even for her, but I suppose it's believable that she either wouldn't understand the importance of it or (more likely) was just that worked up over it. Too bad "you'd best stop talking now" didn't turn into a catfight. :) The whole return of Midge was kind of silly too. I understand how it was the catalyst for Don's anti-smoking idea, but it was so out-of-the-blue and sappy. And she and her "husband" seemed pretty clean-cut and high-functioning for broke junkies. I was on the edge of my seat that whole final episode waiting for the other Megan shoe to drop, and nothin'! I wonder if it'll happen next season, or if she'll remain angelic while Don simply gets bored or horny and moves on. I definitely think that his final return to Anna's bungalow was the catalyst for his proposal to Megan. Her general earnestness (without innocence) and mellowness are very reminiscent of Anna -- perhaps to continue the theme of contrasting Anna with Betty now that Anna's gone. Notice how, in addition to being great with the kids, Megan is constantly *not* playing head games. She explains to Don about her phony friend, including the teeth comment, and when they're in the office and he tries to be "tactful" she generally just reveals that she knows what's going on and simply doesn't care. (Observe how she handled the Faye situation.) re: Peggy, I think maybe for just a moment she was disappointed that Don was attracted to someone else (again!), and of course she was pissed about people paying more attention to Don scoring another secretary than to her huge business-related announcement. But remember also that the general assumption in the office was that Peggy had slept with Don to get her copywriter position. Now Megan actually *did* sleep with Don and might turn it into a copywriter position. If that happens, it will only reinforce the attitude that Peggy didn't earn her job via hard work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks