What's new

Mad Men - Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Great episode. Loved Don's clever and ruthless business tactics. Of course, this show being what it is, that action is bound to come back and bite him sooner or later.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Seeing Duck at the Clios was an almost forboding feeling of the direction Don's life is taking.. he's spiraling out of control, and Peggy had to come and take command of the situation.

Which makes me think of the best gambit of the week.. when it came to how "open" and "Liberal" and "smart" her partner was in creating the ad, she called his bluff and absolutely pwned him. Maybe they went back to SDCP and played it off as "their work" but those two knew who the big dog was.

But there has to be some recognition coming her way, or Peggy is going to split town, and then things will change. Because right now she has all the hunger Don had in S1, and Don is going nowhere. The moment where he stole the "Cure for the common.." terrible. Wow was that terrible.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I really liked the episode with the Japanese, but thought this weeks was so so .

Best bit was how Don got hired - Getting Sterling drunk and then showing up saying he'd been hired.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by mattCR

Seeing Duck at the Clios was an almost forboding feeling of the direction Don's life is taking.. he's spiraling out of control, and Peggy had to come and take command of the situation.

Which makes me think of the best gambit of the week.. when it came to how "open" and "Liberal" and "smart" her partner was in creating the ad, she called his bluff and absolutely pwned him. Maybe they went back to SDCP and played it off as "their work" but those two knew who the big dog was.

But there has to be some recognition coming her way, or Peggy is going to split town, and then things will change. Because right now she has all the hunger Don had in S1, and Don is going nowhere. The moment where he stole the "Cure for the common.." terrible. Wow was that terrible.

Exactly, and Don does not even realize yet he is turning into another Sterling. I wonder when Peggy will get around to running drunk-Don up 10 flights of stairs.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Another great episode. Great stuff with Peggy and the new guy, Don and the Life cereal guys and so many great line from Roger.

Most disturbing part was Don's blackout. He essentially missed an entire weekend.

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
Given Don's company when he wokeup, I'd say he didn't miss it so much as can't remember it.

As for how Don got "hired," that was indeed Good Stuff.

I'm not sure I followed everything with Peggy and the "nudist". Specifically, why she undressed. It seemed like she was calling his bluff in some way, but I'm not sure what the purpose was. Was she thinking if you challenge him on all his jibber jabber, maybe he'd actually let it go and get some work done? It was amusing for what it was, but I didn't follow the overall purpose. One thing's for sure, he may have thought he had the power, but I think she slightly adjusted his thinking.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Wow. This show, week after week, is just phenomenal. I am dumbstruck with how many great moments, references, and how easily it all fit together.

Spero D

Second Unit
Great episode, it was nice that they finally focused on Don and Peggy's work relationship

Gwon Chang

Stunt Coordinator

Originally Posted by TravisR

Easily the best episode of the year.

1000% agree.

I thought this episode was hilarious (Don's face after the coffee; blink and you miss it), brutal (Don yelling @ Peggy, Peggy crying her eyes out), and touching (Peggy's "That's not true," and the hand hold).

Incredible.

Incredible.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It's great to be watching a show that gets better every week. Two weeks ago, I couldn't imagine the next one topping what I saw, and this week it's the same thing.

Hamm and Moss should submit this right now for next year's Emmys.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think what is clearly happening here is that Peggy grasps the concept of "how do we make this look good as a commercial" and Don is stuck with how to make things look pretty as print. Two different generations and viewpoints of how to make media work

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I don't find the actress who plays Peggy "hot" but I somehow find Peggy more attractive everytime I see her. Even in the scene where she took off her clothes an episode ago, I didn't experience any mental titillation because I just don't see her that way in my mind's eye. But when she's fully clothed and ... well, it's apparently the "and" that does it.It's easy to value her for more than just her looks because she is more than just her looks. As she climbs the corporate ladder, she isn't some femme fatale, but a woman who consistently makes tough choices and sacrifices in order to achive her goals, while apparently dealing from a deck that doesn't even contain the pity card.

That said, what she did to her boyfriend wasn't cool. But at least now he understands he comes second to her career.

EDIT: typo

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
BTW, finally watched this episode late last night, and I was riveted to the screen the entire way through.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Somewhat of a breather from the last few weeks, but a much-needed house in order @ SDCP. It was good to see Peggy assert some authority, though Joan wasn't appreciative (citing her ability to use her sex appeal to get what she wanted 'quietly') the contrast is coming between the pre-1960s woman who works behind the scenes (Joan) and those who take charge (Peggy). I liked that contrast.

Don is trying to spin his life around by drinking.. less. And it seems to be working. Good camera work this week.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think this was our first episode of "Introspective Don". The other contrast between Don's 3 blondes in the episode was telling as well.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by mattCR

It was good to see Peggy assert some authority, though Joan wasn't appreciative (citing her ability to use her sex appeal to get what she wanted 'quietly') the contrast is coming between the pre-1960s woman who works behind the scenes (Joan) and those who take charge (Peggy).

I think Joan was completely wrong in that scene (although I completely believe that her character would think that way). If Peggy had done nothing, the guys would still think that Joan is a weak secretary and that Peggy is a bitch. At least, Peggy got something done.

Louis C

Supporting Actor
Joan was venting out her fears of hubby going to Viet Nam, and Peggy was at the wrong place and time. Also, you get the sense that Betty might just be starting to grow up by accepting Don to the birthday party. So many great character moments, and that was just two of them. Really outstanding episode.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation483
Recent bookmarks