What's new

Mad Men Season 3 (1 Viewer)

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
join me Nelson! no more live broadcasts! =P ofc that'd mean stopping discussions lulz. which i've done pretty much w/the live TV Programming threads so as to avoid spoilers,

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, it keeps me from reading these Mad Men threads!

There isn't that much I see that I want to own, Mad Men is the current exception.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I just saw the episode with the John Deere mower. That was great!

What a terrific turn of events! It's funny how Don comments that even if his foot was injured, why he couldn't still do his job and the British automatically say it's over for him. Sign of the times. And it will be interesting to see how the Hilton situation evolves.

I did peek at the earlier posts here to this episode. It will be interesting to see the rest of the 1963 season. What I'm curious about is whether James Bond and The Beatles will come into play. And of course, how they handle JFK. I think read some comments that the Jet Set episode was an homage to James Bond already.

I hope that Don and Betts work out their marriage. Naming the baby Gene sure caused some problems. The Barbie doll on the dresser shot reminded me of The Twilight Zone too. That had to be a subtle reference, plus Sally's reaction to it!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Nelson Au

Wow, I just saw the episode with the John Deere mower. That was great!

What a terrific turn of events! It's funny how Don comments that even if his foot was injured, why he couldn't still do his job and the British automatically say it's over for him. Sign of the times. And it will be interesting to see how the Hilton situation evolves.

I did peek at the earlier posts here to this episode. It will be interesting to see the rest of the 1963 season. What I'm curious about is whether James Bond and The Beatles will come into play. And of course, how they handle JFK. I think read some comments that the Jet Set episode was an homage to James Bond already.

I hope that Don and Betts work out their marriage. Naming the baby Gene sure caused some problems. The Barbie doll on the dresser shot reminded me of The Twilight Zone too. That had to be a subtle reference, plus Sally's reaction to it!

That same writer/director combo was on the most recent episode in S4 Mad Men.. and they keep their goofy yet great zeal. Those two episodes (the most recent and the John Deere) stand out as classics.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Matt and thanks for not spoiling anything!

I can't wait to see S4. I'll have to wait it out for the BD release or succumb and get it on iTunes.

What I also found so interesting about this episode is that I can identify with it. Having been part of a design consultancy agency in the 80's, we merged with another firm in the 90's. So I feel at home at Sterling Cooper. Having a mower in the studio wasn't out of the ordinary. And I can feel for the guys who are wondering what's going to happen from the buy out!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Wow, I just finished the season 3 blu ray last night. What a great season ending episode.

The JFK assassination and the "what is going on?" line that Betty exclaims made me realize how 911 affected my life in so similar ways. It was a catalyst for these characters. And it also propelled me in new directions. What great stuff!

Great to see Joan back and running the new firm! I'm wonder how heartfelt Don's plea to Peggy is. It worked and Peggy is with the new firm. I want to think Don has changed and will be better to her and Pete, he realizes that they are forward thinking and not only needs them for the firm to succeed, but respects them a lot more.

In reading the posts above that I avoided, I can see your arguments about Betty being more old school then the ladies such as Peggy and Joan. I really hated to see that marriage fall apart. I guess I'm a romantic and hoped they could make it work. I agree her storyline will be intersting to see as it unfolds in S4. I really hope the new firm succeeds!

I really enjoyed that last episode, how Don took the reins and got the partner's to wake up and take the firm back.

Now for the wait for the S4 blu ray....I'm avoiding any spoilers.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Just finished season 3. . .I kind of agree with ALL of you about Betty -- she's a cold, snobby, immature bitch, but that doesn't excuse Don's treatment of her. She never shows any of her kids the slightest affection that I can see -- even the "first kiss" talk with Sally came across as her not wanting HER daughter to get a loose reputation more than it did her wanting to share a moment with her kid. Don works long hours and goes away all the time, but when he's actually with his kids, I get the feeling that they're important to him more than I ever do with Betty. Then again, the kids aren't a focus of the show, so we only see snippets of the time the family spends together. (Of course, we see the parts that the filmmakers *want* us to see.) If the show has one noticeable flaw, it's that so few of the characters are truly likeable. It can be hard to relate. Interestingly, I find Roger Sterling to be getting more and more likeable as time goes on. In season 1 I would never have expected him to become so (brutally) honest and trustworthy. Maybe the coronaries' effect on his outlook had something to do with that. Trudy is becoming more intriguing. At first it appeared she'd just be a younger version of Betty, but she's reacting to the changes in her life (and her douchebag husband) in a much more, um, Peggy kind of way. And she's getting more screen time. I wonder if she'll play a larger role in season 4, helping out with the new firm and all. I want to point out one thing: Carla is not a nanny; she's more of a part-time housekeeper (someone, either Betty or Mrs. Pryce, made a comment in one episode about being able to hire a "real nanny" if she lived in Europe). She's only there for a few hours a day, and has her OWN FAMILY at home. (When I was a kid, we're talking late '70s or early '80s here, we had someone similar, who picked up me and my sister from school and did a little house-cleaning until my mom got home from work.) Asking her to watch the kids for 6 weeks was extremely inconsiderate. Par for the Betty course, I guess. On to season 4 next week. . .

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Just finished S3, watched S1-S3 pretty quick. I like a lot of the characters, Trudy makes me laugh eventhough she isn't really that funny on the show, Paul acting sophisticated makes me laugh too. Pete is sometimes great but he is a douche a lot of the time. I miss Sal though. Betty is a bitch but she is quite good looking, I always am amazed at how attractive she is, I only knew her from her bad SNL episode and X-Men.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks