What's new

Mad Men - season 2 (1 Viewer)

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I think I rewound that scene (Don and Betty's push-fest) 2 times last week. It was just so unexpectedly funny to me.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Mad Men will be on my shelf soon.
Pete scanning the clinic soft erotica collection and then the segway to Roger's paddle ball just killed me.
Just before the car crash, "(Theme From) A Summer Place" was playing. I'll always remember dancing with the prettiest girl in 8th grade to that tune.

The show is wonderfully time specific. Recently the very real crash of a plane, last week three glances at a date book, this week the reference to Marilyn at JFK's birthday fundraiser.

Pete would be about 74 now.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
"Maidenform"

I liked how they hit home with the duality of light and dark within the characters while giving it to us in the ad campaign. This is the rare show that rewards multiple viewings. Oh, and Betty in her swimwear doesn't hurt.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I think they are doing a good job of laying all the ground work for Peggy to become a mover/shaker later in the show, whether this season or next. But I tihnk we're going to start seeing her dress & act differently quickly as she moves to take a more agressive role in her job.

We had some hints of that earlier after the car accident cleanup, but she heard it again from a co-worker tonight.

That's good, because I definitely think her character is one of the most interesting in the rpogram. I'm not at all sure what's going to happen with Duck; I'm waiting to see if he hits the bottle again - which is what drove him out of his European job - and finds himself getting the axe.

I love shows that keep you guessing.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Those F'in litterbugs! I guess the campaign with the Indian shedding a tear over the litter was from the 70's.

Betty finally gets wind of Don's infidelity and her reaction in the new caddy was great.

Not sure if I ever knew that Sal really had it so bad for Cosgrove, but it was sure palpable at Sal's place. His poor wife (the actress used to play Hannah on Everwood a few years ago) will be probably devastated if Sal ever comes out of the closet.

Joan and Jane, I suspect lots more staredowns between them.

Duck is getting left behind professionally as Don ascends up the corporate ladder. Duck knows it, and pretty soon everyone else will notice it too.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason

That was incredible fun, wasn't it?

It constantly amazes me how Mad Men integrates almost all the characters on a weekly basis with some type of storyline, even if Duck only had two scenes. Each episode is so densely packed with information I am in awe of the writers. Mad Men is easily the best hour long drama on TV.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

I know nobody cares but, "the Indian" was a full blooded Italian.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
my fav. part is the littering, many of u older folx know that ya used to throw everything out the window :laugh: loved the allusions to that =D.

2nd part is how season2 continues to IMPROVE on the 1st season setups. there is still a LOT we dunno about don draper. remember the women who came to find Don in the car salesman position he was in? that rocked. don is the indefatigable poker player. i love how he keeps all the cards in check until som1 cracks him up =)

Jeff Pounds

Second Unit

That has been my favorite moment of the season, becuase Jimmy's complete deconstruction of Don was so unexpected and so right on.

Jimmy has been played mostly as an obnoxious goof, but as a movie star/actor in the show, he's also somewhat of a hustler, and it's interesting that, despite Don's enigmatic personality, Jimmy (of all people) was able to deliver a stomach-punch blow to Don, becuase he immediatly recognized him for what he is - a fellow hustler.

I agree with others... this show just gets better and better.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I agree. My knee-jerk reaction to that is the woman was either the "real" Don Draper's wife, fiance or significant other. The way she accused and challenged Don, "You're NOT Don Draper!" Great stuff!

Another scene I really enjoyed is the ending of the the previous episode with Don and his daughter when she came in to watch him shaving in the bathroom. This guy is wrestling with some BIG TIME inner demons and the understated way that Weiner and company parcel out these story bits sure makes for amazing television!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale

Of course we know that she seemed to have zero effect on him continuing with the Draper identity, so, what did he do to her?

We've already seen him turn violent more than once.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
You had to feel a little bad for Joan after she really laid the groundwork for that position that Crane thoughtlessly gave away to a flunky. But it illustrates how equality in the workplace still had a ways to go.

Don's past catches up to him, though Betty is solely reliant on Jimmy's side of the story.

Peggy's own past is catching up to her as Father Gill works to save her soul.

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I don't think that the Betty is just relying on Jimmy's side of the story.
She knew before and this was the first time that someone outright told her and remember this person was affected too.

Her unflinching view of the situation despite not finding any evidence demonstrated how certain she was.

She knows.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
The more I think about this show, the more Joan (Christina Hendricks) becomes more of a three dimensional character as opposed to an "office girl." She is absolutely wonderful playing uber-bitch, the top dog and the good housewife, yet can do so much with so very little, like the last scene this week. I almost like Joan now.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I'll say! How telling is it that after Roger finds out the recent success of Crane's fledgling department is directly attributable to Joan's efforts, he gives the go-ahead to fill the position on a permanent basis and says something to the effect of, "Fill it, but don't offer HIM more than $150 per week..."

Also, I think I missed something. Was there some content in the Utz commercial that triggered Betty's phone call to Don or rather is it just seeing Jimmy on TV further reinforced her suspicions and prompted her actions?

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
did u guys like how the grounds laid up from season1 are finally starting to bear fruit? the distilled silences of season1's strained marriage moments are now totally wreaking havoc on don's life? i just luv that thread from season1 being unraveled in this last ep =D. total awesomeness. matt weinmen is a genius =P. i wonder if he made season1&2 of sopranos awesome and david chase went ahead and screwed it up from season3 to 7 ;).

aaanyways. i really look forward to the rest, i hate WATING though =P. i also look forward to s2 on BD. s1 loox awesome PQ and audio quality-wiose.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Holy moly! That ending scene just gobsmacked me.

At least Don and Roger were kind enough to give Freddy a fun send-off, given his drunken transgressions earlier.

Loved the reaction to Marilyn's suicide, also very much a contemporary phenomena.

Don's got a nice right cross.

Betty's a wreck, but too prideful and still trying to find proof of Don's infidelity.

Nice scene between Peggy and Pete. It's going to be a shitstorm when he finds out what she's been hiding from him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks