Mad Max SE coming

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen L, Sep 15, 2001.

1. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

MGM 's web site has Mad Max SE being released on Jan4,2002.No info on the disc specs are given.I'm hoping for Australian track,Widescreen ,commentary and maybe a docu. http://www.mgm.com/cgi-bin/c2k/preor...t=DVD&start=20
    [Edited last by Stephen L on September 15, 2001 at 08:29 PM]
    [Edited last by Stephen L on September 15, 2001 at 08:30 PM]

2. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

Oh, too cool! Good thing this is coming out next year: the last thing I need is another DVD to buy for 2001. [​IMG]
    (And don't bother clicking on the box art; it'll take you to a page for their release of Rain Man)
    ------------------
    Have you ever noticed anyone driving slower than you is an idiot? And anyone driving faster than you is a maniac!! - George Carlin
    ICQ: 55259446 (or just search for "John Shaft"...can you dig?)

3. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

Now this, this is good news!

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Is 1-4-02 a correct date for this and for Buckaroo Banzai? It is a Friday. Sometimes we see DVD's released on Friday's, but they are usually big new titles, not backstock like these two.
    Having said that, I've been concerned that I was given Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome for stocking stuffers last year, but hadn't watched either because I didn't have and could not find Mad Max. I hadn't worried much about it, because they were only two of about 200 discs I hadn't watched yet, and I figured I'd run into MM sometime.
    Now I can just wait a few months for a MM-SE. Cool; much better and well worth the wait!
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
    Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
    Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
    http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

5. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Another must-buy! Hope I get some cash for X-mas...
    ------------------
    He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
    -- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

6. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Just a warning: NO AUSSIE DIALOGUE, NO SALE
    I do not purchase dub-only titles
    Jeff Kleist

7. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins
    That artwork is truly awful though!
    Jeff

8. Ryan_M_M

Ryan_M_M Stunt Coordinator

I am with Jeff. The dubbed soundtrack sounds awful. I ended up having to contact a friend in Australia in order to pick up the original soundtrack on VHS.

9. Stephen L

Stephen L Second Unit

10. John Sparks

John Sparks Screenwriter

John Sparks
    ...that would be nice to see the movie as it was shown in Australia with original soundtrack and dialog.

11. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

Just a note to David Lambert, you really don't need to see Mad Max to enjoy the Road Warrior. As I recall, the Road Warrior/Mad Max relationship is much like the Desperado/El Mariachi one-- sort of a remake and a sequel at the same time. Mad Max is generally considered a good film, the Road Warrior a classic. In fact, watching the Road Warrior first will probably help you enjoy Mad Max even more.
    As for Beyond Thunderdome, I wouldn't even bother with that one at all.
    And also, to whoever asked, I wouldn't necessarily expect RW:SE, since Warner has that one, not MGM.
    And, I have to say it, since everyone is bashing MGM lately, that they do a remarkable job of releasing many older titles that have an established fanbase as special editions. I completely love the Princess Bride and When Harry Met Sally discs, and I hear that many others (such as Silence of the Lambs and the Magnificent Seven) are great as well.

12. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

David Illingworth, I've seen all three. I enjoy all three. As with anything else, I prefer to see them in order of release. Thanks for your comments, though.
    ------------------
    DAVE/Memphis
    [​IMG]
    Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.
    Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.
    Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.
    http://www.miami.com/herald/content/...ocs/000565.htm

13. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

I certainly hope it is the 100 minute version - not the 93 minute version. The 93 minute version that is presently on video was cut from the version that played on cable TV several years ago.

14. Matt_Stevens

Matt_Stevens Supporting Actor

How is it that the restored Australian version that played in theaters was taken from the original negative, and runs 93 minuts?
    ------------------
    www.deceptions.net/superman

15. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

I have no idea about the so-called Australian restored version running 93 minutes. I know I have a copy of the original Australian language version on VHS and it was sliced from the version on I saw on cable TV. I noticed that on IMDB it states that the UK version is 100 minutes. I have heard someone say in the past that there is an adjustment in speed between PAL and NTSC. But, I can't imagine that the adjustment would amount to 7 minutes. I had originally copied the version from cable many years ago but erased it when the laserdisc was issued. Then when I got around to watching the laserdisc, I found that it had been censored. The laserdisc is the 93 minute version. The censored part, as I recall, was centered around the couple in the red Chevrolet. The confrontation with the motorcycle gang was somewhat more violent than that shown in the 93 minute version. It gave added impetus to the mean spirit of those bikers. I guess someone, somewhere felt the video audience couldn't "handle" that part and censored it out.

16. Mike Russell

Mike Russell Agent

I never picked this disc up because i just could not find it. This is a great movie, although not as cool IMHO as the road warrior. I am with y'all as far as the original australian soundtrack goes. No aussie track. No sale.
    ------------------
    Be as gentle with the faults of others as you are with your own - Egg Shen.

17. Christina_DQ

Christina_DQ Stunt Coordinator

Is that true about a 100mn version existing?
    I never knew about that & have ony seen the American dubbed version + have the Image dvd.
    I'd love to see it in it's original Australian language & uncut if that is true abou a 100mn version. Wasn't a LD released years ago with the original track? I remember reading a review in Entertainment Weekly.
    great movie & all time fav btw- Road Warrior rules as well [​IMG]

18. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Supporting Actor

19. Jeff Adkins

Jeff Adkins Screenwriter

Jeff Adkins

20. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

__________________________________________________ _____
    [Is that true about a 100mn version existing?
    I never knew about that & have ony seen the American dubbed version + have the Image dvd.]
    __________________________________________________ ______
    To my knowledge, there is no video release in the US with the 100 minute version. I've only seen it on cable TV, I believe it was The Movie Channel, many years ago.
    I had the original pan and scam laserdisc of Mad Max and it was dubbed. The newer laserdisc, was issued in 2.35:1 and is dubbed as well. Haven't seen a laserdisc released in the US with the original Aussie soundtrack.
    [Edited last by Larry Bevil on September 16, 2001 at 11:23 PM]