What's new

Mad Max:SE Austrailian soundtrack...finally! (1 Viewer)

DarrenA

Second Unit
I just finished watching Mad Max, and it felt like I was watching this movie for the first time. For it's age the new anamorphic transfer looked incredible to me. Sure their were plenty of soft and out of focus shots as well some bad sections of print, but this was very minimal and the rest of the movie looked great.

But the real kicker is finally hearing the movie in it's native and correct Austrailian audio soundtrack. I've always had a small distaste for the english dub that had a poor "lip sync" look to it. Now the actual voices are proper to the specfic actor, and no longer have that cheesy delayed mouth movement from the silly dubbing.

I have read from other posts that a few people feel that the knightrider's voice is to feminine compared to the enlgish dub. That's pure rubbish I say. I'm just happy as can be to finally view this cinematic piece of history the way it was meant to be scene...in glorious 2.35:1 with the original Austrailian soundtrack! Thank you MGM!!!

George Cifrancis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
George
Yeah it is great to finally hear the original soundtrack. Although I have to agree with those who didn't care for the Night Rider's voice. I thought the actor who did the dubbed version sounded a whole lot better. Other than that it was good to hear the real voices of the actors.

GC

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
I have read from other posts that a few people feel that the knightrider's voice is to feminine compared to the enlgish dub. That's pure rubbish I say.
I agree. A lot of people don't realize that the character is basically just speaking the lyrics of the AC/DC song "Night Rider", originally sung by Bon Scott, who has a low voice which sounds almost like moaning at times. He is, in essence, the opposite of Brian Johnson, the current singer. :)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I can't stand the dubbed version, so there is almost nothing that I could hear in the new version that would turn me off. The sound was a little bit muted in terms of punch in some scenes, but otherwise its great. I'm waiting to watch it with a friend who will visit from out of town, but I had to check it out and of course upon starting the movie I had to at least watch the entire Night Rider portion of the movie.
On the Australian dialouge. I absolutely love it. There is nothing cooler in this world than the diversity of accents. I love the sound of their voices. The joke of the whole thing is that, the movie was supposed to be a post-nuclear type scenario, or at least, a scenario that was apart from the normal world. The Aussie accents blend well with the people and take you into a world of make believe. With less of an ability to identify with the actors, since their voices are so much unlike American, Canadian and British accents, it makes it that much easier to suspend my disbelief.
Anyways.....one thing I have to say about this movie, is that it has a very very strange affect on me. I am an environmental minded person, and I'm no longer keen on big fast cars etc, but watching and hearing these V8's and late 70's KZ1000's is music to my ears. I absolutely love the sound of the rumbling engines coming through my speakers and subwoofers :) After watching this version in full, perhaps I'll post my own full review. I am amazed by the brilliant and yet simple cinematography, editing, writing and acting. So much about this movie is done right that you can't help enjoy it. I know I will :D

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I've always enjoyed MAD MAX but in a cheesy sort of way because of the horrible DUB. After watching this with the original voices I now consider it a real Sci-Fi/action classic.
Great job MGM :emoji_thumbsup:

Brett C

Second Unit
After just watching this disc and hearing the american dub for the first time it took me about 5 minutes to stop laughing at how bad it is. I am glad that people in america can finally see it with the original dialogue as the dub track is a disgrace....

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
someone help me out here...
I've got the original road warrior DVD from Warner...and i listented to it last night...and the actors voices don't sound "american" at all...there's a clear "australian" accent going on.
Yet all this talk about this new version and it's "australian" language appearing for the first time. Is the "us english dub" the one I have...and does it still have an slightly "australian" sound that apparently this new verision displays even more strongly?
I'm confused...
someone explain!
-dave :)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
You're confused because we're talking about different films. The Warner disc is The Road Warrior, which is the second film in the Mad Max series. The new MGM release is of the first film, entitled simply Mad Max; you see quick inserts from it during the narration at the beginning of Road Warrior.
Road Warrior was released in this country with its original soundtrack. Mad Max has never been issued over here with its original dialogue, until now. (The previous Mad Max DVD was from Image, BTW.)
M.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I saw Mad Max for the first time a few days ago. The original language track was easily understandable; I don't know why they dubbed it in the first place. (I didn't see anything wrong with the Night Rider's voice, BTW.) I saw a little bit of the dubbed version during the trailers and documentaries, and that is enough for me. I don't think I'll ever watch the movie with American dub track.

Sean Oneil

Supporting Actor
Much better then the US dub track. I must admit though, that I tripped out hearing the Night Rider's voice after hearing the dub a few hundred times. Good disc. :emoji_thumbsup:

Gary Harris

Stunt Coordinator
Watching this movie with the 5.1 Australian track & in widescreen was like watching a completely different movie. I always loved the Max trilogy but thought this one was pretty cheesy. It fits in great now. Now we just need SEs of Road Warrior & Thunderdome.

Derrick G

Stunt Coordinator
I'm with Jeff. I thought the Austrailian sound track was easily understandable. There were only a couple of times I wasn't sure what they said. Which brings the question: Why did they dub it?

Derrick G

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Americans today are much more accustomed to hearing Australian accents than they were 22 years ago (Mad Max was released in the U.S. in January 1980).

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks