What's new

Mad Catz Ultra AV Kit (1 Viewer)

Mike_HT

Agent
Any catch....Are they crappy quality? This looks like it comes with everything I need (svideo and optical audio cables included). I'd spend $19 + an optical cable if I got the Advanced AV pack vs. just $29.
Anyone else use this?
Mad Catz Ultra AV Kit

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
I bought one of these when the X-Box first came out. No matter what I did I never got a Dolby Digital signal through it from the X-Box. I ended up exchanging the X-Box several times over one weekend through different retail outlets of the same chain hoping that it was the console that was at fault but to no avail - still no Dolby Digital, just DPL2. After a couple of weeks I found out that the Mad Catz units were faulty and that Mad Catz had allowed owners to return them for a "functioning" unit. Well by then I had returned everything (console, games and Mad Catz AV pack) wanting to wash my hands to the whole X-Box fiasco.
I dove back into ownership of an X-Box once the price reduction as announced and immediately bought a Microsoft brand Advanced AV Pack and everything has worked fine ever since. Once bitten, twice shy I guess. ;)

Mike_HT

Agent
So the MadCatz would be fixed now, which would be good...but I am now tempted to follow your path and go for the Microsoft brand. I'll give my brother a call, says he can get a discount at Best Buy. Maybe then I could even afford Monster Cables ;)
Thanks for the advice and sorry to hear about your bad experience. Glad all is well now. :D

Jim Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased one of the Mad Catz Ultra AV Kits in Nov 2002 and it works perfectly, and its at a great price for what you get. I'm sure you can get it for a better price than $29.99. I paid $30 Canadian funds for mine, so I would think you should be able to find it for $20 US funds.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
Maybe then I could even afford Monster Cables
Hmm, that brings up another pet peeve, proprietary components. I was checking out the Monster Cable packaging one day and I noticed that if you wanted to utilize an optical input on you receiver with the Monster Cable connectors (s-video or component) you'd have to buy a special Monster Cable optical cable! It turns out that there is a special "mini" connector that Monster uses on their cables in order to get Dolby Digital/DTS on your X-Box.

Arthur Legardo

Second Unit
Real Name
ArthurL
I bought the cheapest one I could find, I think it was $30 CDN. After the Mad Catz/X-Box fiasco earlier I was feeling quite jaded so I went the "cheap route". Anyway I couldn't see myself spending $50 for a single cable for game console. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks