Mad About You Season 1 DVD

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Erwin, Oct 22, 2002.

1. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator

I just bought this today in Wal-Mart for about $20. It's a nice little set which includes 22 episodes (about 490 minutes of video to watch). This is one of those shows that was totally different than most, but it worked and lasted for almost 8 years (I think). Anyways, "it's well worth it". It's hard to believe this set only costs $20 when FRIENDS is close $60 or more. It has been a favorite of mine and my wife for years ( there is very few shows we can watch together). If all seasons to TV shows were this economical on DVD there would be no end in site although the Simspsons are worth it's $34 price tag and much more[​IMG]

2. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

are the episodes in the right order? i remember someone posting the last two episodes were switched. if they're all like that, what're the chances the studio fixing it?

3. Steven Wesley

Steven Wesley Second Unit

Steve
    I haven't seen a reviews on this set yet. Has anyone else? I know there was concern about the compression.

4. Skoobooz

Skoobooz Stunt Coordinator

Jay
    The compression is fine, but the episodes are, for the most part, all out of order.

5. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

TVShowsOnDVD has not received a review copy yet, but apparently not from lack of cooperation from the normal contacts. I suspect there's been a muck-up somewhere further up the chain.

6. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor
    The episodes appear to be in production order, which is often different from air order. "Mad About You" is not a heavy continuity show, but you should definitely watch the final two episodes of the set in reverse order.

The transfers are OK. Not great, but not horrible either. There are some compression artifacts visible (look at the stripes on Paul's shirt in the pilot episode), but for the most part they are unobtrusive. It's kind of hard to complain too much when you're getting over 8 hours of very funny TV for $16.99! (Thanks, Target!)

It was weird seeing Paul's bachelor friend Selby again. Those episodes don't seem to show up on syndicated reruns anymore.

7. Jeff Bamberger

Jeff Bamberger Second Unit

I would think that there would be some compression issues when all 22 episodes are put on only 2-DVDs. That's a lot of info crammed on, even at 20ish minutes each ep.

8. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

Now that I now that the video quality of Mad About You Season 1 is ok, I am going to try to pick up a copy of this on Saturday (I am also going to try to pick up Mr. Deeds on Saturday)

9. David Lambert

I've gotten my review copy, and already watched the pilot while I ate dinner. There ARE some compression-related concerns on the big screen. I'm going to go see what it's like on the smaller, more average-size screen now.
    The episodes are terribly out of order! They ARE in production order, but airdate order bears no resemblence to this. I will have a detailed breakdown of this in my review, but for now the order I listed here will take care of you! Note that "Pilot" = "Romantic Improvisations". I will see how quickly I can go through this set and still write up a good review for you. I know we've been waiting on this one, and I will deliver it for you as soon as my schedule allows.

10. JohnDMoore

JohnDMoore Stunt Coordinator

I'm no judge of how great the compression is -- I have a 13" TV/VCR combo -- but I picked this up right after school yesterday and this has got to be my most satisfying purchase since "Rushmore: CC." I was very much impressed. Though I'd like SOME Special Edition material, if it's the difference between a $20 or $60 price tag, sign me up for this kind of treatment.
    I hope this can be followed through to the end of the series. I can't stress this enough. I really, really want to be able to see the series finale uninterrupted (I'm sure they cut out a LOT in syndication).
    And I never realized how long and how much Selby was in the series. I swear they've pulled some of his episodes from syndication. There were two I'd never even seen before (notably, "Riding Backwards," now one of my favorites). However, I must say I prefer Ira.
    Know what'd be nice though? Chapter stops. At least for commercial breaks.

11. Brandon

Brandon Agent

Stupid question:

What's Columbia's track record on releasing TV shows on DVD? In other words, can I expect season 2 any time soon?

12. Erwin

Erwin Stunt Coordinator

The quality is fine, but I think alot of that has to do with the source only being 10 years old which is very new. I don't know if they are in the right order, but they send you straight to the episode selection menu, so, it doesn't really matter. I need to get a price match at TARGET [​IMG]

13. Craig S

Craig S Producer

Craig Seanor

14. David Lambert

Craig, you're welcome. No, not lasagna. :wink:

I think the conclusion abut the video quality is that this is a price-vs.-performance issue.

15. Matt Naglieri

Matt Naglieri Second Unit

For anyone interested in the correct order in which the episodes were originally aired I have researched and come up with the following.

What is extremely frustrating is that in order to view episodes 11,12 & 13 in order you will have to switch disc one and two back and forth.

Hopefully they will get it right with season two whenever that comes out!!

101-1 Romantic Improvisations - Pilot
    104-2 Sofa's Choice
    103-3 Sunday Times
    102-4 Out Of The Past
    106-5 Paul In The Family
    105-6 I'm Just So Happy For You
    107-7 Token Friend
    109-8 The Apartment
    111-9 Riding Backwards
    110-10 Neighbors From Hell
    113-11 Met Someone
    108-12 Maid About You
    112-13 Togetherness
    116-14 Weekend Getaway
    115-15 The Wedding Affair
    114-16 Love Among The Tiles
    118-17 The Billionaire
    119-18 The Man Who Said Hello
    117-19 Swept Away
    120-20 The Spy Who Loved Me
    122-21 The Painter
    121-22 Happy Anniversary

16. EricW

EricW Cinematographer

just got this today, and the video's not that bad. one great thing about this series is it hasn't been done to death by syndication.
    the actress who plays George Costanza's mom has a cameo in one episode, and Kramer has his infamous guest spot in another one too - i'd forgotten that happened in the first season (although the K-man is in the picture in the episode menu - it would have been cool if they'd left it a surprise to those who didn't know [​IMG]
    one thing that worries me about the possiblity of future seasons is the spine doesn't even say "season one" or "first season" or anything. it just says "Mad About You". i guess only sales will decide.

17. David Lambert

My review of this set is now posted at TVShowsOnDVD.com

18. John Lloyd

John Lloyd Stunt Coordinator

I watched the first 6 episodes last night. I enjoyed the dialogue, but the video quality reminded my of VHS. I checked the bit rate meter and it seemed to hang around 4MB/sec, with peaks around 5 and bottoming out at 3. I can't believe the master tapes look this bad. They should have used 3 discs and increased the price of the set $5.

19. Eugene Esterly

Eugene Esterly Supporting Actor

Ok. I finished watching Mad About You - The Complete 1st Season over the holiday. I watched the first 4 episodes last week & I finished watching the rest of the episodes over the holiday. All of the episodes were good & the picture quality is ok. I owned this set since October 26, 2002 but I didn't start to watch it until last week.

All in all, a good TV show. I am going to pick up Season 2 of Mad About You real soon.