Macs, iTunes and VBR MP3 files

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Hill, Jan 9, 2002.

1. David Hill

David Hill Agent

Hi all,

well, after 10 years of suffering PCs I'm going to switch to an iMac. However, in the meantime, I'm converting many of my CDs to MP3 format, will burn them to disk, and copy over to my new Mac.

My question is, can iTunes play VBR encoded MP3 files? I can't seem to find that info anywhere, and it would be a damn shame if I spend all that energy only to find that it won't work!

Anybody out there with a Mac can confirm?

Cheers

David

2. Phil Kim

Phil Kim Stunt Coordinator

Yes, iTunes 2.0 can play VBR MP3s. In fact, it's got one of the most thorough (and fast and insanely easy) MP3 encoders around -- 8 kbps to 320 kbps bitrate encoding, 8 to 48 kHz sampling rate, adjustable VBR (7 adjustments, plus off), bass filtering (drops signals below 10 Hz), "smart" encoding, and joint stereo/normal/mono.

3. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

I guess one of the questions would be, if it didn't would you still want to make the switch?

4. David Hill

David Hill Agent

Hugh,

Oh yes! I am sick to the back teeth of Windows. I have spent the last three days unable to get on the internet as whenever I tried IE5.5 kept giving me error messages, along with Morpheus and e-mail.

I spent some time re-installing software, phoning help desks, all to no avail.

It turned out that Norton Firewall, that has been running happily for months, decided to 'lose' all my rules, but didn't tell me. So once I figured that out I could get back on. No software had been installed, no virus attacks, just one of those things.

This was discovered while I was on to the helpdesk of my ISP, and I mentioned that that was the final straw and I'd switch, and the lady said "I wouldn't do that if I were you, stick to Windows". i then asked if their broadband service was compatible with Macs (it is), and if she'd had many Mac users call up with problems. She thought, and then said, "no, never"!!!!!!

For me, a non-techie, that just wants to use the bloody machines, that seems to sum it up.

So, if iTunes didn't do VBR then I'd have just used a fixed, high, rate.

Cheers!

David

5. Hugh M

Hugh M Second Unit

there are alot of media related items that the Macs do well...I wish the two would play nice and learn from eachother rather than one stealing the others stuff. [​IMG]

6. David Lawson

David Lawson Screenwriter

David Lawson
    While I applaud anyone who switches to a Mac, you should be aware that there is no Mac version of Morpheus at this point, although it is due at some point this year. I'm an Audiogalaxy person myself, and there's (finally) a client for Mac OS X called Sputnik.

That said, I also have a separate PC that I use primarily for Web stuff, so the above limitations are moot points for me. If you plan on ditching your PC altogether, though, you should be aware of the current unavailability. VirtualPC (a Windows emulator) might be an option, but people apparently haven't had much success getting Morpheus to run in its emulated Windows environment.

7. Mike Sogge

Mike Sogge Stunt Coordinator

I'm having no problems using Morpheus in Virtual PC on my Mac.

8. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

I have always been fascinated with macs but have never gotten one.

I wish Apple would come out with OSX for Intel.

I heard that Darwin is available for the x86 but is only compatible with old x86 motherboards.

If Apple came out with OSX 10.1.2 for x86 I think it would really hurt Microsoft.

I'm a diehard Windows user and I would purchase that software anyday.

Especially if it came with the same exact software as OSX for mac.