Macrovision problem, cant play DVDs!

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Ushabye, Sep 25, 2003.

1. Ushabye

Ushabye Projectionist
    Supporter

Paul
    I'm trying to sort out this problem on my friends computer: Whenever he tries to play any DVD on the PC, the picture is scrambled and has MACROVISION in big letters on the screen. Windows tells me that the computer is "not configured to deal with the Macrovision signal from the discs and needs to be reconfigured to do this" - but does not say how of course. Some help? The system is a P3 W98 400mhz with intel onboard graphic chipset.

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Sounds like whatever DVD software he's using is screwing up and has no idea what to do with the Macrovision bits in the datastream. He should use another player, like WinDVD or PowerDVD, to see if he still gets the same results.

3. CRyan

CRyan Screenwriter

Try installing the original video drivers for the video card. If the video card has a TV out and you installed new drivers, it is possible that the new drivers do not support the TV out function with macrovision. This was specifically a problem with NVIDA as of late.

Ryan

4. Ushabye

Ushabye Projectionist
    Supporter

Paul
    There's no tv out as the system just has a standard intel onboard graphics. I reinstalled the display drivers but that didnt help. He's using Cinemaster software, so I'll get him to try Power DVD and see what happens.

5. JasonRuiz

JasonRuiz Auditioning

I had a similar problem using certain DVD's no matter what machine I tired them on even on my newer XP2000+, even if I wasn't using the tv out. I tired may solutions including the two pplayers above with no luck. The only solution I found was disabling macrovision. Many shareware apps let you do this (though you'll have to register them 'cause many only allow for 15 min playback if in shareware mode) the best soluttion fo rme was DVD region free which I think was only like $15.00, I didn't need to change regions (though it's nice to know I can if need be) but it also has a disable macrovision function, once I switched this on, all the dvd's I couldn't play previously, played flawlessly. The main culprit were HBO dvd's like the Sopranos, etc.