Macrovision ? Effects you know of

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Eric Stuckey, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

I did a surch and nothing that answered my question was found. I just wanted to now what it means. I am having a problem when I watch TV on DVD disk's like Law & Order :SVU or the Looney Tunes 6 box set I get a wavyness to the top of the picture. Any thoughts if the 3:2 pull down is causing this. I have never noticed the waveyness on a reg movie.

2. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

Do you have the DVD connected through the VCR and then to the TV? If so, the waviness might be due to the macrovision kicking in.

3. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

Nope got Rhino Componte cables going from my Denon 5 disk changer to my Hitichi HDTV moniter.[​IMG]

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Doesn't sound like anything to do with 3:2 pulldown, but here's an article that explains what it is:

What is 3:2 pulldown?

M.

5. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

Right, I've seen stuff on the top of the screen always caused by macrovision - thats your culprit. Some TVs are more sensitive to it than others.

6. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

So it's my TV??
    Its a Hitichi 43In 4:3 HDTV ready Monitor.I have not noticed the "Wave" at the top of the screen on anything other then TV on DVD's. I thought it was my Denon DVD 1518 5 disk changer, I even sent it back for a replacement and the 2nd player still does it. Just to clarafy what I mean.
    It looks like if someone took a magnet and was pulling the top of the picture to the right but only for a few sec.
    The two DVD's I was playing when it happins are:
    Law & Order: Season 1 SVU & Loony Tunes 6 disk box set.
    Thanks for all your help!

7. Eric Stuckey

Eric Stuckey Second Unit

Im trying my hardist to find out why on some DVD's I am seeing a strange waveyness to the top pf my tv when I watch TV on DVD's, I.E Law&order :SVU , LooneyTunes 6 disk set King of the hill. It happens most when a bright light is on the screen like on KOTH season 2 In the ep where Hank and Dale are fishing with Crack every time Bill took a picture and the flash went off ..there was the picture wave. I have never noticed this with reg movies just TV shows on DVD. Any thoughts if its Microvision?

TV: Hitichi HDTV ready monitor
    DVD: Denon 18-15 5 disk changer
    Rhino Componet Best cables
    With cables going from DVD player to TV.

8. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

I've never heard of "microvision" but there is a copy-protect scheme used by VHS and DVDs called macro-vision. It can cause flashing near the top of the screen on some TVs.

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Eric, please do not start multiple threads on the same topic. I have merged your two threads on the distortion you're asking about, and I've corrected the thread title so that it asks about "macrovision", which is the copy-protection scheme you were told about in the initial thread.

M.