Macrovision, DVD and VCD

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Royster, Dec 27, 2002.

1. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

So I bought my wifes parents a DVD player for christmas. On the way to their house I exclaimed "shoot, they've got an old TV with only an antenna input"

Then I thought well I'll just run the DVD player through the composite audio/video inputs on the VCR. Didn't think it would work though because of macrovision.

Hooked the DVD player upto the VCR and voila! everything works great and let the grandkids watch monsters inc.

So why did it work? I thought macrovision would give a scramble picture.

2. David Susilo

David Susilo Screenwriter

The reasons are one (or more) of the following:

1. that particular DVD player is not Mac compliant
    2. that particular VCR is not Mac compliant
    3. the particular movie you use for testing is not Mac embedded

3. John Royster

Thanks David.
    I'm hoping it wasn't the title. Other problem was trying to convice her parents on why pan&scan is bad. Even showed them examples.
    "no, we want it to fill the screen. get rid of the black bars" ARGGGHH. Lost another one to the dark side. [​IMG]

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Macrovision will make the picture quality pulsate at some short intervals, like 5-10 seconds by mucking with the automatic gain circuitry of the TV set. It's more evident if you try to actually record a macrovision-encoded DVD onto a VHS tape, and then playback the tape, it should look yucky as the picture pulses from normal to distorted.

Also, you can buy a RF modulator at Radio Shack which will allow you to connect a DVD's (audio/video RCA) outputs to an old TV that only accepts an RF coax input.

Note: Any other subsequent posts that deal with defeating macrovision will be deleted in this thread.

5. John Royster

thanks for the help Patrick.

I hoped I wasn't treading on the rules, but was very curious as to why it worked. Makes sense now.

6. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

John, Just my observation but I've found that many different brands of VCR's will pass the pictue through to a tv that has Macrovision encoded in it but when you push the "Record" Button on the VCR then the Macrovision will kick in so you can't record the tape or DVD.

7. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

Yes, when I first got DVD I tested this. In fact, I recorded a macro movie while I watched it. The picture on the TV was fine, but the copy on the tape pulsated and had color lines in it. No big deal as I was only testing. But bottom line, they should be able to watch the movies through the VCR jsut fine.

8. Shaun C

Shaun C Agent

I had a funny experience. When I first got DVD I had a copy of Twister and for a test I recorded it onto VHS, using my older Go-Video VCR. When I watched the tape, it was flawless, and a much better picture quality than you get even on pre-recorded tapes. Then I played the same tape in another VCR and I the picture faded in and out, as well as there were thin blue lines through the picture.

But I also found out I could connect my DVD player through the VCR and it showed fine on the TV. It seemed to only affect the quality of the picture on the tape, if you recorded. The pass through seemed to be unaffected, either way.