What's new

Macrovision and projectors -- Please HELP! (1 Viewer)

Nick McCarthy

Auditioning
I have an Epson ELP-3000 projector. When I play my Sony DVPS-360 DVD player, the Macrovision clearly effects the picture, blooming all over the place.

What can I do to solve this problem?

Thanks.

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
How do you know it's the Marcovision. Does Harry Potter look normal? Are you asking how to defeat Macrovision or fix the projector? I don't think we can discuss how to get rid of the Marcrovision here but correct me if I am wrong.

Nick McCarthy

Auditioning
Sorry if I was unclear!

I'm *assuming* this is a problem with macrovision, and how my projector is sensitive to it. The discs that don't have macro play fine. I've heard of cheap/easy solutions to "defeat" macrovision so I can watch in peace on my old Epson projector. Any clues how I can deal with this?

peter m. wilson

Stunt Coordinator
hi,
how are you connecting your dvd player to the projector?
if you are using an input that is hdcp enabled (like dvi) and you are somehow trying to scale a copy protected dvd to a higher res than 720x480, macrovision or any other copy protection program will be activated.

peter m.

SteveMo

Stunt Coordinator
If you were looking into a new video processor you might check out the Focus enhancements CS-2. It would solve your problem. Depending on your DVD player you might be able to alter it to not use the MV. You could try VCDhelp.com or Yahoo groups. Many people do this so they can watch DVD through their VCRs so they free up a connection on their tv.

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
And once again we see how copy protection screws up perfectly honest consumers with legitimate needs, while doing nothing to discourage serious piracy.
In this vein, I'd hope that discussions on defeating Macrovision for legitimate reasons would be allowed. But I don't make the rules.
Jan

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I am sorry to say that any discussions on how to defeat macrovision cannot be done here.

Nick, can you clarify for me exactly what is happening and how you have things hooked up now, and why?

Thanks

Nick McCarthy

Auditioning
Hi there,

Well in the time since I posted last I think I have solved the problem.

This Epson is an old (a few years at least) projector which I hooked my Sony DVD player in, with a simple RCA cable and now an S-Video cable. Discs that are copy-protected bloom and darken in that inimitable Macrovision style when I would watch them.

So...I borrowed a SIMA color corrector (Model: SCC) from someone today and now the image is stable when I run the disc player into it.

My question NOW is: is this problem w/ Macrovision only apparent on these older projectors like my Epson? I would assume the newer projectors that get discussed here wouldn't have this problem since so many people project DVDs. i.e. -- the Epson I have was probably intended for use institutionally for presentations, not screening movies.

Hope I haven't confused you folk with my "classic" technology questions (i.e. from 3 or 4 years ago!!).

Thanks.

Nick McCarthy

Auditioning
Hi there,

Well in the time since I posted last I think I have solved the problem.

This Epson is an old (a few years at least) projector which I hooked my Sony DVD player in, with a simple RCA cable and now an S-Video cable. Discs that are copy-protected bloom and darken in that inimitable Macrovision style when I would watch them.

So...I borrowed a SIMA color corrector (Model: SCC) from someone today and now the image is stable when I run the disc player into it.

My question NOW is: is this problem w/ Macrovision only apparent on these older projectors like my Epson? I would assume the newer projectors that get discussed here wouldn't have this problem since so many people project DVDs. i.e. -- the Epson I have was probably intended for use institutionally for presentations, not screening movies.

Hope I haven't confused you folk with my "classic" technology questions (i.e. from 3 or 4 years ago!!).

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks