Macromount for Athena AS-R1

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Chuck_W, Jun 30, 2004.

1. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

2. Daman

Daman Second Unit

ask your Athena dealer to order them for you.. i ordered mine for my energy bookshelves from my energy dealer. And as it is Athena and Energy have same parent company..

3. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Thanks Daman. I was hoping to find an online dealer since my dealer is quite a drive, but I will give that a shot if I can't find anything else.

Checked out your photos....like the Enfield!

4. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Hey! Thanks a lot Chuck, motorcycles and travelling were my favourite pastime, till HT bug struck me [​IMG] courtesy HTF!! Own 2 Enfields in fact [​IMG] lovely motorcycles..
    Check for the mounts with your dealer he should be able to get it pretty fast,my dealer got for me in around 3 days.. he ordered them from Energy canada. And yes make sure you put in good sized screws for holding those mounts, i had to put a pair of C1's at the back for 7.1 which are fairly heavy but the mounts do well and are holding em up pretty good till now.

5. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Chuck, just saw the mounts from the link you sent, they are the same as what i have.. cost 50 bucks a pair, just for your info

6. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Thanks...I was wondering what they cost.

7. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Hey Daman,

I haven't gotten to my dealer yet to order these mounts, but I noticed you have a Yamaha 5790...what do you think of it?

8. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Finally got to the dealer on Saturday to look for macromounts. The salesman had no idea what I was talking about...said he'd check with his manager on Monday. Calls Monday night - his manager and their distributor have no idea what I'm talking about...asks where I heard about these "so-called macromounts". I told him to check the Athena website. Haven't heard back yet.[​IMG]

Didn't think it would be so hard to find a pair of speaker mounts!

9. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

E-mail Athena directly. They have provided me with excellent support in the past.

10. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Finally heard back from my dealer last night...they tracked them down and can order for me[​IMG]

11. Daman

Daman Second Unit

Congrats Chuck, let me know once you get them what you think about them. Sorry missed out the 5790 question earlier, well yes i think its a fantastic reciever and i couldnt be happier with the purchase. The best thing i love about it is YPAO and the PL IIx !! Makes my Energy setup kickass big time [​IMG]

12. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Thanks Daman...glad to hear you're pleased with the Yamaha. WHich EQ setting do you use...front,flat etc? You ever use the THX processing?

13. Daman

Daman Second Unit

I use the Flat PEQ setting Chuck. I tried out the THX EX processing but didnot like the sound, made the whole sound mellow down i felt.. i mainly use PL IIx on all the movies whether DTS or DD, the DD EX decoder is also good but i feel PL IIX is better for 7.1 setup.

14. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Well the saga continues. I finally got to my dealer last Saturday to prepay for the Macromounts (since they are a special order). Now today they call and tell me it will be 8 weeks before they can get them!! I've just now emailed Athena to see if they can help...but I just don't understand what is so difficult about buying a pair of speaker mounts. Quite frustrating.

15. Daman

Daman Second Unit

damn! hard luck Chuck,when i ordered mine, it took just 3 days to come.. cant understand what the problem is.. why dont you instead try and find a energy dealer near you and ask him to order them for you? The mounts are the same for both the speakers.

16. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

How do these things work? I have some Veritas 2.0Ris coming in for one of my setups...is it something I need/should use ? I know the Veritas have mounting holes directly on the speeaker...

17. Chuck_W

Chuck_W Second Unit

Well I found them online at Audio Advisor. The white (which is what I'm getting) are back-ordered...should ship within ten days they tell me - which sure beats 8 weeks! The black were available to ship immediately.

My local dealer had called me back and actually tried to talk me out of buying the macromounts. First they told me the speakers are dipoles so they don't need to be angled (well, they're actually bipoles but why bother correcting them on that I figured). Then they told me that these mounts aren't really made for the AS-R1s and that I would have to drill holes in the speakers to make them work. Oh well...I cancelled my order with them - if they don't want my business I'll take it elsewhere.[​IMG]

18. Daman

Daman Second Unit

ah well [​IMG] i went in for black ones.. i guess white ones would be back ordered. Good that you chucked your local dealer.. i too have bipoles though i have fitted them directly on the wall, its the rear surrounds im using the mount for.
    Drew- these fit in directly on the hole inside the speaker frame. They have a ball joint so you can adjust the position and are pretty strudy units which can take heavy weight. Ill see if i can click a snap and post up in a day or so, so youll have an idea.

19. Daman

Daman Second Unit

[​IMG]

Heres a pic of how the rear surrounds are mounted in my setup, you cant see the mounts clearly but the speakers visible size would give a fair idea of the capability of mounts