What's new

Macro Mania (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Love the second one! The eye is sharp and the leading lines of the background make an interesting sweep of the image. You might consider putting a subtle vignette around that to tone the background down slightly, I think that would make a very slick but classic looking image.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thanks Sam. I've been doing more vignetting in general, so I'll give that a try. Still considering whether to submit some of these to a lavender festival photo contest. I guess there's nothing to lose (except the $20 entry fee).

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I'm not a fan of competitions, tho I know others get a kick out of them. I especially don't consider for-fee entries my bag. But my philosophies about my shooting and why I shoot aren't mainstream I guess.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Not really macro, but this preying mantis was on the side of our house today. I had a difficult time finding a lens that could focus close enough to get a shot. This was the best one, using a 24-105mm f/4 L lens. I cropped the shot a little.
One of these days am going to buy a real macro lens. It will provide lots more opportunities to shoot just around the house.
451A2989-X2.jpg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I like it! I'd juice the contrast just a bit and maybe add a bit of vignette to make him more of the 'star' of the shot! His face has personality tho!!!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sam Posten said:
I like it! I'd juice the contrast just a bit and maybe add a bit of vignette to make him more of the 'star' of the shot! His face has personality tho!!!
Thanks for the constructive feedback, Sam. I am still new to this "macro" stuff. How is this?
451A2989-X2.jpg

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
That looks terrific on my retina iPad! I'm on travel this week but wouldn't mind taking a cut at how I would edit it if you are interested when I get back to the ranch. LMK!

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
You are welcome to give it a try, Sam. I have the original RAW file if you want it. I'd just have to figure out how to get it to you -- I do not think my free Dropbox account can handle files that large -- it's probably over 20MB. Also, the file is from the Canon 5D3, so you would need the latest version of Lightroom or ACR to edit it.
I did just buy Lightroom, as Newegg had a deal on it. I only played with the program for a few minutes, though, and was confused on how everything worked. I've had no time to spend on learning the tool yet, so this was edited with Canon's DPP application.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yes, it's cropped but still was only about 6-8 inches away. They were doing their own thing gathering pollen and so long as I didn't touvh their flowers I was no concern to them.
I am tempted to spot out the other insect in the flower, what do you think?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The other insect isn't really adding anything to the photo. I didn't notice it at first, but now that you pointed it out I do find it a little distracting.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
The problem with 1:1 is that Costco will only print them at 8x8. I have hoped that they would add a polaroid-esque 4"x4" but so far no luck.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
You can use the Lightroom Print module to create a 4x4 image in a 4x6 area and then trim it by hand. That's what I do if there's not a size I need. You could even create a Polaroid type framing with a thicker bottom border if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks