What's new

Mackenna's Gold on May 4th widescreen or not? (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by TonyD
^probably because it's just the same old disc in a new label.
Universal has a bunch of titles coming June 1 with new packaging but old transfers, including the horrible transfer of THE HINDENBURG. It is 2010, so please wake up and do these things right. Both Sony and Universal know better.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by TonyD
^probably because it's just the same old disc in a new label.

Also, Netflix has an HD stream available that is a widescreen edition.

e7819ca8_Screen shot 2010-05-08 at 8.49.57 PM.png
If Netflix has a HD version of the film does this mean it would be used for the bluray?

This Disc had no chance. 3 strikes from the start:

2;20 - 2:35 OAR intended to be re-released on DVD in widescreen
Wrong OAR of 1:85 listed on the packaging
Pan and Scan disc inside

Good work Sony, you are to be congradulated!!!

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
I have the last Columba release of this film released about 3 or 4 years ago. It is anamorphic widescreen with 5.1 dolby digital. The color isn't washed out, but it could use a little clean up. Running time is 2 hours and 7 mins.

Doug
Doug, would you post a picture of your release, or at least provide the year listed in the copyright info on the back cover. The only "old" version I found in stores this weekend is listed as 2003 (and the back cover does additionally say full screen).

Thank you.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
I don't have a way of copying the cover at the moment. The version I have has a package copyright of 2000. It is a flipper with a pan and scan on one side and widescreen anamorphic on the other. Also the audio is 5.0 not 5.1, so its probably a direct port of the 70mm audio.

I do wish this film would get a proper release. I'd also love to see it include George Lucas' short film about the making of the film called 6-18-67.

I found this review of the release that I have.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/1221/mackennas-gold/

Doug

Edit:

I just checked out the HD release on Netflix instant view. It appears to be the same transfer as the DVD that I have. The print is fairly dirty with quite a few white specks. However it is much sharper than the DVD and very watchable.

Colin McGuigan

Second Unit
Real Name
Colin McGuigan
All the talk of HD versions of this movie makes me think how bad that godawful effects shot on the rope bridge might look - it already looks for all the world like an Action Man strapped to a toy horse on the DVD.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
It's inconceivable to me that Sony continues to reissue this movie to DVD in P&S when a "decent" 2.35:1 anamorphic Widescreen transfer of the flick has already been released to the format.

Several years ago I conducted a search of all the various shops in the area which stocked used DVDs in hopes of finding that old flipper. And I came up totally empty. (Although I *was* able to snag "The Last Action Hero" flipper which served me well until the BD release.)

Color me "totally mystified" /img/vbsmilies/htf/confused.gif by this release strategy.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
Originally Posted by Douglas Monce
I don't have a way of copying the cover at the moment. The version I have has a package copyright of 2000. It is a flipper with a pan and scan on one side and widescreen anamorphic on the other. Also the audio is 5.0 not 5.1, so its probably a direct port of the 70mm audio.

I do wish this film would get a proper release. I'd also love to see it include George Lucas' short film about the making of the film called 6-18-67.

I found this review of the release that I have.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/1221/mackennas-gold/

Doug

Edit:

I just checked out the HD release on Netflix instant view. It appears to be the same transfer as the DVD that I have. The print is fairly dirty with quite a few white specks. However it is much sharper than the DVD and very watchable.
Thank you.

dantana

Auditioning
Real Name
kartik
I was in India in early seventies, where they had many large 70mm theaters and as a kid could not forget this magnificent movie.
I have regular 4:3 version DVD which on my home theater gets streched when shown on 16:9. I don't think they released a WS version. Also I am waiting to see if they release blue ray version.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
It's a fun movie, I have the region 2 DVD. It does have some truly awful process work (when Peck & Sharif first meet there's some glaring blue screen shots, I suppose they were pick-up done in a studio, a shame as it's a spectular location), & crossing the bridge straped to a donkey, oh dear! And when the sun comes up (& my god, doesn't it come up fast) shouldn't the shadow be getting shorter & not longer? But if I'm in the mood I thoughly enjoy it. Maybe a Blu-ray from TT, but I don't enjoy it that much.

RLane777

Agent
Real Name
Rick

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I should be getting mine tomorrow, and I'll post here what I find out. I hope it is Widescreen, but I have a feeling it's not.
I went ahead with an order as well, so my fingers are also crossed. I hope to receive mine tomorrow or Wednesday.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
I remember running the trailer,and thinking how great it looked. Columbia was running full page ads in Boxoffice magazine for the 70mm release,but can't recall if it was for a RoadShow run. We ran it first run @ The Westway theatre in Balto. co.Md. 400 seat neigborhood theatre.

RLane777

Agent
Real Name
Rick

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
I reviewed my copy and it is Widescreen and all others are also in Widescreen, except Mountain Men, which is in full frame.
Thanks for reporting back. Very good to hear. As I mentioned earlier today, I had "gambled" by going ahead with my order.However, I have still not received my package. It was shipped last Thursday, so I'm hoping maybe today or more likely tomorrow.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Its strange that they originally got this right with both a widescreen and full frame version on the original DVD release in 2000 and then couldn't get reissues right until now. Glad I got the original one when it came out and avoided all this mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks