Machine-Gun Humor

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by steve jaros, Jul 29, 2002.

1. steve jaros

steve jaros Second Unit

Steve
    Movies like Rush Hour 2, Goldmember, and Jay/Silent Bob use a strategy of machine-gun humor. The idea seems to be one of "if we try 5 gags/jokes a minute enough of them will be funny for the movie to be funny".

And in the case of JSB and Goldmember at least, it works. For 1.5 hours the stabs at humor just keep coming in a relentless barrage, and batting average doesn't matter. Most of them fall flat or make you wince in embarrassment, but 1 or 2 out of 5 are funny, so you end up smiling or laughing the whole time and leave the theater with a positive impression...

2. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

I didn't laugh at only 1 or 2 out of 5 jokes in J&SBSB, I laughed at most everything in there. Sitting here now, can't think of a joke I didn't particularly laugh at, and I watch that dvd a lot. Now Dogma had the $^!tmonster which wasn't funny, but that's a different movie.

3. Duane Robinson

Duane Robinson Second Unit

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back definitely uses machine gun humor but in my mind everyone of those shots hit me directly in my funny bone. I laughed my ass off, put it back on, then laughed it off again for the duration of that movie. It was the same with Young Frankenstein, South Park: BLU, and There's Something About Mary among others. Some movies use this technique but for the most part shoot blanks. A good example of this for me was American Pie 2, it shot a lot of gags at you but some of them were just not funny while others were hilarious. This left some people with a positive impression like you said while others felt the movie sucked and wasn't funny enough.

4. mark_d

mark_d Second Unit

And here I was thinking you were gonna talk about Jamie Lee Curtis dropping an Uzi down some steps, thereby icing a load of generic Middle Eastern badguys in a humorous manner...

When is that SE gonna come out?

Mark

5. David Rogers

David Rogers Supporting Actor

Heh

Not sure which I want more, a cool SE of True Lies or a seat and a Cherry Coke in the theater when they show True Lies 2. Either would rock though.