MacGyver S3 in stereo....?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Vader, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Normally, when a mono soundtrack is played back in pro-logic, the sound field collapses to the center channel only (because both L and R are the same), so that confirms mono for me - even when the packaging says 'Stereo' (ie. Dangermouse collapses to the center when I use PLII - sounds better just using mono). But season 3 does not collapse like this, even though Mac did not go stereo until season 4... possibly Paramount did a matrixed job on S3 to boost sales? Anybody know for sure?

2. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

Sounded like true stereo to me.

3. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    Roger, do you mean MacGyver or Dangermouse?

4. RogerH

RogerH Supporting Actor

MacGyver.

5. Vader

Vader Supporting Actor

Derek
    On the MacGyver fan board 'macgyveronline.org', it was suggested that season 3 was filmed in stereo, downmixed to mono for broadcasting. Then for season 4, ABC was broadcasting in stereo, the series followed suit (makes sense to me). And the "broadcast in stereo where available" subtitle, which only shows up on season 4, seems to support this.... Thanx, all!

6. Esten

Esten Supporting Actor

It sounded like real stereo to me, so that's a possibility. Wasn't half of X-Files season 4 shot in 1.78, in anticipation for season 5?

It'd be cool if the unsold Young MacGyver pilot made its way to some official release like on the final season, or at least make it to air. With it being shelved for the past two years, and with the WB passing on it, it doesn't look like it's going to ever be released officially. [​IMG] Sad, because it's actually up there with some of the best of the original series, even without Anderson.

So I heard.[​IMG]